Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: China Type 053 H2H5Posted: July 21st, 2011, 6:40 pm
K-Jag wrote:
The Radars are to detect targes for the DF-21D asbm.
Klag is right. You don't need phased arrays that are designed for the air defense mission to do targeting for the DF-21D.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: China Type 053 H2H5Posted: July 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm
The only reason I can think of for a ship that size to have a radar like that is if the ship is a radar picket ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: China Type 053 H2H5Posted: July 21st, 2011, 9:55 pm
And the general concept of radar picket ships is obsolete. We have satellites for that - yes including radar targeting. Or you use aircraft, which the Chinese have in spades.

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: China Type 053 H2H5Posted: August 25th, 2011, 3:16 pm
Agreed- if you want to find targets for the ASBMs then a phased array is overkill- in the same way that a thermonuclear explosion is over kill for trying to open a stubborn jam jar. For this mission as primary mission I would emphasise stealth shaping, good CIWS, high mounted surface search (which needn't be very large and could arguably be retractable/extendable) and high speed. I may try a scatch of something along such lines.

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: China Type 053 H2H5Posted: August 25th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Right, here we are, a Chinese ASBM scout.

The idea is a high speed deep sea patrol vessel with excellent CIWS including the new RAM style FL-3000N http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TY-90#FL-3000N (I think your design includes an earlier version).

Whilst doing this sketch I realised the Houbei class are potentially doing just this role- high speed scouts for the tracking of such high value targets. However, their twin hull wave piercer design will loose performance in heavy seas where a deep V hull will keep going, so think of this as a deep sea Houbei.

I've included a telescoping mast, but also a flat rear deck where I'd hope to deploy UAVs from. The PLAN has recently been seen excercising UAVs by the Japanese so perhaps that's where they're heading too.

The forward CIWS is the usual Chinese gattling set up given a cursory 'stealthing'.

One last issue is power plants- the Chinese have reverted to using steam for frigates and destroyers since an arms embargo barred the sale of US turbines. Ukranian one's do work, just, but this design would need some very large GT kit, and would probably have a pretty short range. Exhausts are in the transom, seawater cooled.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to โ€œBeginners Onlyโ€ | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: