Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
socar37
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 2:25 am
Wikipedia & Universe wrote:
socar37 wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Be that as it may, but you'll still need access to the turbines, those won't last fifty years
They just might. Enterprise (CVN-65) still has her original main engines, and there is no plans to swap out mains on the other CVN's. The only reason for large access to the main spaces is for reactor refuelling. Which is a once-in-a-lifetime occurance on Nimitz class and never on CVN-78.
I wonder what would be the feasibility of an A1B backfit to some Nimitzes when it comes time to refuel them.
From what I gather, the A1B has more differences than just the core. The systems involved would be too much to backfit.

"Prepared In Mind & Resources"

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 5:54 am
Because of the unexpected interest in this ship I decided to kind of finish it of.

[ img ]
USS John Wayne BGN-72

Commissioned into the US Navy in 1986 the John Wayne was named for the US President considered by many to be the most popular and successful since FDR. ‘The Duke’ as he was affectionately known served in the highest office from 1969 to 77 and is credited with winning the Vietnam War and smashing both the OPEC Oil War and Communist expansion in Africa. He was also the inaugural “Actor President” a professional class that would hold the American presidency without defeat since his election. (John Wayne R-68, Ronald Reagan R-76, Paul Newman D-84, Clint Eastwood D-92, Chuck Norris R-00, Denzel Washington D-08.)

BGN-72 was programmed as the lead ship of the navy expansion plan in the second Reagan Presidential term in 1981. Originally to be named the Montana she was rechristened the John Wayne after his death by cancer in 1983. The new class was to follow the rebuilding of the Iowa class battleship to lead new Surface Action Groups (SAG) with a particular focus on deep sea and ASW operations. But with the efficiency of its nuclear power propulsion the BGN-72s were often to be found on forward deployment in the Persian Gulf, Taiwan Strait or Bay of Bengal holding back international communism, the non-aligned movement and other threats to world peace.

Class and type: Nuclear powered, guided missile battleship
Displacement: 38,500 tons
Length: 881 (268.6 m)
Beam: 91 ft 9.375 in (28.0 m)
Draft: 27 ft 1 in (8.25 m), 37 ft 6 in (11.4 m) to bottom of sonar dome
Propulsion: 4-shaft nuclear with four (40 MW) B1W reactors
Speed: 38 knots (68.5 kph)
Range: unlimited
Complement: 1,240
Armament: two Mk 71 203mm guns (fore and aft), two Mk 45 127mm guns (port and starb), four Mk 15 20mm CIWS, six Mk 41 61 cell VLS (usual load: 146 x Tomahawk cruise, 124 x SM-2ER AAW, 64 SM-2MR AAW and 32 x VLA ASW missiles), 32x Harpoon ASM, two Mk 32 324mm triple tube torpedos
Aircraft: four Sea Apache strike helos, four Sea Hawk ASW helos

Last edited by TurretHead on September 3rd, 2010, 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 5:57 am
socar37 wrote:
Thiel wrote:
No, they most certainly wont. Casigns and housings, sure. Turbine blades and wheels, no way. Especially not with nuclear power. Then thereøs all the other stuff down there that'll need replacement either in part or in whole during the ships service life. Alternators, Freshwater Generators, Coolers, auxiliary power units, the list goes on. Heck, the main breaker on that thing is likely to be the size of a large desk. Definitely not something you want to wrestle up a narrow ladder.
OK, full disclosure time. I have 18 years of nuclear navy experience; 6 of them on Nimitz class carriers. By all means, the turbine blading can handle full power for the entire design lifetime. These are not wimpy LM2500 gas turbines that have to be replaced wholesale after so many hours. Alternators last a long time too. The ladders can be removed and chainfalls used to get the main breakers out. Been there, done that. Yes it's a pain in the butt, but it's doable.
I bow to your superior knowledge. Having never worked with anything nuclear, I used what little experience I have with steam turbines.
Those need blade and wheel replacement every now and then, despite using steam that is superheated to a larger degree than what a nuclear reactor can produce. At least that's what I've read.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 6:00 am
Do you really think they'd name a ship of this size after John Wayne? I mean, I know he's the Duke etc but I can't see them naming a giant nuclear powered battleship thing after him.

... then again, we have a carrier named for John C. Stennis, who I only know of because there's a ship named for him...

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 6:06 am
Colosseum wrote:
Do you really think they'd name a ship of this size after John Wayne? I mean, I know he's the Duke etc but I can't see them naming a giant nuclear powered battleship thing after him.
That's explained in the bio following the latest image. If John Wayne doesn't die of cancer in the 60s and becomes the US president in place of Nixon and wins the Vietnam War they would!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 11:55 am
Turrethead - for a supership, I have to say Bravo, well done.

Ian - Stennis was important in the development of the navy as it existed in 1990, although I still rank him behind Carl Vinson (Co-sponsor of the Two-Ocean-Navy Act).

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 3:31 pm
If you're choosing to be really silly, ditch the puny Mk 45 in favor of glorious Mk 66. I have one drawn if you want it.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 4th, 2010, 6:04 am
erik_t wrote:
ditch the puny Mk 45 in favor of glorious Mk 66. I have one drawn if you want it.
Thanks for the link to the twin barrel gun. It looks very interesting. Is your drawing in the parts sheets? I would like to see it.

The 127mm guns on the BGN-72 are not there for shore bombardment but rather for close protection of the ship and use against ship and boat targets that aren't cost effective for a missile. They can also support the 203mm guns in bombardment by shooting illumination shells. So the twin barrel, high rate of fire Mk 66 wouldn't be as appropiate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 4th, 2010, 12:18 pm
So basically your 127mm is being used as the bastard child of Phalanx and a flashlight? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Turrethead's USN monsterPosted: September 4th, 2010, 4:40 pm
Colosseum wrote:

... then again, we have a carrier named for John C. Stennis, who I only know of because there's a ship named for him...

What about USS Ronald Reagan,he was an actor before he was a puppet President.Nice drawing Turrethead makes me yearn for the good old days of the cold war when the world was a safer place,and ships were built instead of being paper/ pixel projects

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: