Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Yasutomi wrote:
For the record, I wasn't convinced that there was sufficient room either, but SS was telling me that there was plenty- even allowing for possible problems with my layout. That's why I wanted a second opinion.
Machinery space aside, your funnels don't support a particularly big boiler room, or at least beyond that which would be suitable for a short-range, slow coastal defense ship (which is what I was somewhat assuming anyway). But given that, it's actually very fine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yasutomi
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Rodondo wrote:
You might want to add shading to the underside of the hull to show the curvature
It's on my to do list, I promise! ;)
Carthaginian wrote:
Personally, I think she's a beauty like she is right now.
Now, I would (if possible, will defer to experts here) put Q turret aft of the engine room... but that's just me.

Excellent work- wish mine looked that good.
Thank you! :)

SS was very clear that the engine room was between the aft turrets...it certainly wasn't my preference either!
erik_t wrote:
With so little power available, I don't really see four screws as being a sensible use of volume/mass.

Didn't the Espana Class have four shafts? I did consider having only two, but eventually decided against it. But I'm certainly open to the idea of reducing the number, particularly given the already limited space.
Quote:
Any other complaints of mine are with the basic design/concept and I need to think about it before I say anything.
That sounds ominous! Seriously though, I'm not trying to design the absolute best ship possible here, I'm trying to design the best ship possible for a limited budget. Many real ships weren't exactly cost-effective, or even tactically sound, but they were still built. This project is all about designing a vessel for a country that wants a dreadnought, but can't really afford one, and inevitably that is going to overshadow other concerns.
klagldsf wrote:
Machinery space aside, your funnels don't support a particularly big boiler room, or at least beyond that which would be suitable for a short-range, slow coastal defense ship (which is what I was somewhat assuming anyway). But given that, it's actually very fine.
Thanks, Klagldsf...and I do see your point! My problem at the moment is that SS is telling me that I have enough space for machinery and people here are telling me that I don't. Now this could very well be a consequence of my design...but I can't really see how I can arrange things better without further increasing the size of the vessel. In fact, it seems to me that I'm fast approaching the point at which my ship will be too large and too expensive to justify a main armament of only six heavy guns...

...so I've decided to scale up the design to see what happens!

[ img ]

As you can see, I've lengthened the ship to 560 feet and added a second superfiring main turret and four more secondary guns. The protective scheme is the same as before, albeit extended, but I've had to increase the draught (to 26 feet) and forward freeboard (by 4 feet). On the plus side, I've been able to move Q/X turret aft of the engine room, which now adjoins the boiler rooms, and have much more space topsides for boats, searchlights, hatches and even a mainmast!!!

And SS tells me it's good for 22 knots...

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 10:51 pm
Much better.This ones starting to look good,like a mini Queen Elizabeth.You need better looking screws. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Yasutomi
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 11:06 pm
Thanks...I just wish it was as fast as a QE! ;)

And yes, the screws do look a little...underwhelming. I might have to borrow the ones from QE or Latorre...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 11:13 pm
I agree with you on the props, maybe dreadnought's? they are the same size roughly

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: