Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 14th, 2011, 11:46 pm
Looks pretty sound

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Yasutomi
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 15th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Rodondo wrote:
Looks pretty sound
I've checked the details over a number of times and couldn't see anything glaringly obvious, but it's always good to get a second opinion. :)

Right...take 2:

[ img ]

I've altered the stern to make it slightly less ugly and added various details, including searchlights, additional hatches, an extra capstan and ventilation points. Yes, it is still somewhat blocky, but I suppose that just reflects my approach to ship construction and it will be hard to change without totally reworking the design.

The rigging remains rather minimal as the lack of a mainmast makes it hard to follow most contemporary arrangements (e.g. South Carolina's), something I will bear in mind when working on future designs!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 15th, 2011, 7:25 pm
I'm not sold on three turrets. With the Y turret where it is, I'm not sure you have enough volume for machinery spaces.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 15th, 2011, 7:28 pm
I was going to suggest to use only 2 turrets too, but tim was before me....
the bow looks ok (at least possible) now, but the stern looks way too blocky still.... what about something like this stern?
http://www.shipbucket.com/Real%20Design ... TH%201.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 15th, 2011, 8:52 pm
Three turrets might be possible... she has a rather full block coefficient, almost 0.6. Cut the length of the fo'c'sle and and move 'A' turret and the superstructure forward about one barbette width or so. That might be enough room.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 15th, 2011, 10:43 pm
TimothyC wrote:
I'm not sold on three turrets. With the Y turret where it is, I'm not sure you have enough volume for machinery spaces.
He would...if he's looking at a top speed of 10 knots.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yasutomi
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 15th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Instead of messing about moving pieces this way and that, I've lengthened the ship by 25 feet and recalculated all the dimensions: the turbine room between X and Y turrets has been extended by 9 feet and the boiler rooms by 10 feet.

[ img ]

I haven't bothered with the detailing because I want to get the fundamentals right. If the concensus is that I still need more space, then I'll go with Carthaginian's suggestion and reduce the length of the forecastle.
klagldsf wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
He would...if he's looking at a top speed of 10 knots.
For the record, I wasn't convinced that there was sufficient room either, but SS was telling me that there was plenty- even allowing for possible problems with my layout. That's why I wanted a second opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 12:01 am
You might want to add shading to the underside of the hull to show the curvature

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 12:01 am
Personally, I think she's a beauty like she is right now.
Now, I would (if possible, will defer to experts here) put Q turret aft of the engine room... but that's just me.

Excellent work- wish mine looked that good.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Wenlock: AU 'Small Dreadnought'Posted: August 16th, 2011, 4:23 am
With so little power available, I don't really see four screws as being a sensible use of volume/mass. Any other complaints of mine are with the basic design/concept and I need to think about it before I say anything.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: