Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Shurik
Post subject: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 30th, 2011, 6:45 pm
Aloha! First attempt at a boat here. Not knowing much about naval equipment, I figured: "Why not start off with a Civilian Model? That'll be easier..."
Yea. Right. :(

Anywho, here we go. After searching the forum and finding nothing about "Hog Islander", "1022", etc, I figured to have a go at this classic ship.
Basic outline is all I have thus far.

And the request:
I'm running into a bit of an issue with tracking down detailed pictures of a Hog Islander Type A to work from. I have some basic shapes from here:
http://www.shipscribe.com/mckellar/pix/1022.html

But that's about it.
Anyone here have any good resources/suggestions?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 1:59 am
http://smmlonline.com/articles/hogislan ... nders.html
Might help some.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 6:53 pm
CanisD wrote:
Thanks. I was actaully able to use the hull-lines drawing from that site to aid in the shading.

Well, this is as complete as I can get it with available pics/info. Some details had to be guistimated and I'm sure there are more to fill in, but any hints/feedback/criticisms/etc are welcome!

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 6:59 pm
An obvious place to start is to get the shading right.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 7:03 pm
Thiel wrote:
An obvious place to start is to get the shading right.
I agree: it doesn't look quite... right... :oops:

I was trying to gradate the shades, but it's a bit tough when working with ms-paint. In so doing, I'll fully admit to tracking down (and using) a couple shade-bars from other WIP's, mixing and matching, and trying to come up with a selection that works.

Any advice on how to go about getting it to look better?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 7:11 pm
Shurik wrote:

Any advice on how to go about getting it to look better?
what about using the shipbucket rules instead of experimenting with the shading? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 7:22 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
what about using the shipbucket rules instead of experimenting with the shading? :P
Yup, read through that.
What about providing a proper example of colors, or something more useful than a meaningless list of numbers and letter? :|
The vessels over in the posted drawings area sport a VAST array of variations in colors, shading, etc.

- Second basic line color (dark grey): #7D7D7D or RGB 125,125,125
- "Black" areas on the hull or on outwardly-sloping surfaces: #292929 or RGB 41,41,41
- "Black" areas on the superstructure or on inward-sloping surfaces: #3D3D3D or RGB 61,61,61
- Railing: #AEAEAE or RGB 174, 174, 174
- Windows: #1873FF or RGB 24,115,255
- Propeller Yellow: #FFFF00 or RGB 255,255,0
- Hull Red: #FF0000 or RGB 255,0,0
- Hull Shading Color: #A04000 or RGB 160,64,0 :?:

What exactly is "A04000 or RGB 160,64,0"? I'm guessing the second number is coordinates of some sort, but even if so, that only provides a single color, not a range necessary for shading.

Unless I'm really missing something?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: August 31st, 2011, 7:27 pm
you don't need a range to shade following shipbucket style.
[ img ]
this is how you should shade. if you want advanced shading, use this: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31 ... jostus.png
the hull is normally not shaded.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 1st, 2011, 6:05 am
R41 G41 B41 means Red 41 Green 41 andd Blue 41 in MS-Paint. You go into the color tool and customize the colors .That is all.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
you don't need a range to shade following shipbucket style.
this is how you should shade. if you want advanced shading, use this: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31 ... jostus.png
the hull is normally not shaded.
Ah ha. "...normally..." being the key there.
Right: That simplifies things significantly. As to the overhang shading, I think I've got it.
acelanceloet wrote:
R41 G41 B41 means Red 41 Green 41 andd Blue 41 in MS-Paint. You go into the color tool and customize the colors .That is all.
Now THAT is helpful! Thank you! :)

Ok, the imput is very helpful, please keep it coming! I'm going to eventually get this thing figured out...
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: