Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 1st, 2011, 5:06 pm
That's more like it.

The panel lines on the hull are normally excessive, but since they were a distinguishing feature on Hog Islanders it might be made an exception.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 1st, 2011, 5:19 pm
klagldsf wrote:
That's more like it.

The panel lines on the hull are normally excessive, but since they were a distinguishing feature on Hog Islanders it might be made an exception.
You are correct. I wasn't planning on putting them in, but when trying to pull details from the few pictures I was able to find, all of them had fairly distinct lines along the hull denoting welded lines along the plates. Above water (where they were visible), I tried to follow the same lines, and extrapolate what it would have looked like below the water line.

(Full credit to the Shipscribe.com website, of the SS Schenectady, from the ECF 1022 page)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 5:30 am
Are these from steel or concrete?

[Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 5:44 am
Steel, concrete ships have smooth hulls.

The look comes from then-primitive welding processes (most ships were still riveted)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 2:16 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Steel, concrete ships have smooth hulls.

The look comes from then-primitive welding processes (most ships were still riveted)
Granted, compared to now, the techniques were a bit... yea.

But for the time, (if I've read correctly) they were a highly advanced design, with oil fired turbine engines, etc. They were supposedly more advanced than the later Liberty ships in many ways.

Next up, a Type B...

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
This makes me think about USS Koning der Nederlanden!

I quite like your work! keep going!

[Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 2:31 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
This makes me think about USS Koning der Nederlanden!
They're actaully very similar, 8,300 tons vs 8,220 tons. Both designed as passenger/cargo ships. There's something about the merchant vessels of that era that I like.

Your USS Koning der Nederlander is a bit of an obscure boat though... (At least in my 5 minutes of looking on Google).
I'm going to do the Type B following the USS Samaritan (AH-10) Hospital Ship for a bit of a coloring change.
ALVAMA wrote:
I quite like your work! keep going!
SQUEEE!!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

(This is the part where I jump up and down like a little girl)

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 4:37 pm
It's a good "first drawing"...
maybe some doubts about underwater panels ...

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Shurik
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 5:02 pm
Lazer_one wrote:
As you pointed out, it's first drawing. So, I'll take what I can get. :mrgreen:

And while "doubts" are expected, they're hardly helpful in terms of improving the drawing.

Mind serving a side of commentary/input along with that entre of doubts?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Hog Islander... And a Request...Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 5:07 pm
Shurik wrote:
Lazer_one wrote:
As you pointed out, it's first drawing. So, I'll take what I can get. :mrgreen:

And while "doubts" are expected, they're hardly helpful in terms of improving the drawing.

Mind serving a side of commentary/input along with that entre of doubts?
He might want to say that he's sure about the panals in term in ''correct'' not in term of drawing.

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: