Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
SrGopher
Post subject: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 4:30 pm
Hi everyone. After starting work on this in Early August, and with massive amounts of heavy revisions, I present the CNS Columbia, the pride of the Centennial Navy.
[ img ]

Still a WIP, without railings and light AA weapons. The 3"/50s are supposedly imported from another AU nation I have.

Oh, please ignore the UP launchers, I've still yet to replace them.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 4:37 pm
That looks pretty cool. What's the size of the main guns?
Those are some interesting looking directors...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 5:41 pm
Looks like a good start, though - and this is just my opinion - the bridge seems a little flat, maybe add another deck there?
Do I see 16in triples?
I look forward to watching it take shape :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 5:51 pm
Agreed about the bridge. Also, the bow looks awkward and the amount of hull below the waterline does not correspond to what is above - too much? That apart, a fairly promising beginning, so worth following :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Rowdy36 wrote:
Looks like a good start, though - and this is just my opinion - the bridge seems a little flat, maybe add another deck there?
Do I see 16in triples?
I look forward to watching it take shape :)
14" quads I think Rowdy. ;)Having said that on closer inspection maybe not.They seem to be a mixture of the 14" and 16" MK 2 off of the parts sheet. Nice drawing this one could be made to look really good.I'm not sure why I'm on the credits though.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 8:05 pm
...it's really not bad.

I can see some "kitbashing" jobs on it, but it looks like you actually went through the trouble to redraw the parts rather than to literally cut and paste them.

The only real valid criticism I see is that it needs to just be refined as a drawing, which I think is what the above were trying to say too.

It also makes me think that it's worth tackling a real ship drawing so you can submit something into the database.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 17th, 2011, 11:36 pm
Wow, thanks everyone!
The main guns are actually quad 16" guns. Should I increase the length of the turrets? I was also thinking about increasing the length of the hull to proportionally accommodate the pretty hefty beam.

The story of the drawing is actually pretty funny. It started off as a design based on principle characteristics of American, British, and German battleships, using an Iowa, KGV, and Scharnhorst. But, the KGV eventually got boiled down into things that would be used in a parts sheet (although I wasn't sure if the center of the hull would count), so I was questioning the validity of crediting Bombhead. The Scharnhorst was practically ridded of - I only used the dimensions of the funnels in the end.

Thanks for all of the compliments and critiques. I've since started work on the hull and bridge. Drawing time so far, including the many revisions up until now, is about 55 hours.

Thanks again,
SrGopher

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 18th, 2011, 12:29 am
[ img ]

Bridge extended forward and lifted up, and above water hull section enlarged. Also, some small additions with medium AA weapons.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 18th, 2011, 2:06 am
The bridge is still too short but very nice start

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Beginner's BB for a Possible AUPosted: September 18th, 2011, 11:51 am
Would any of these bridge variations be good?

[ img ]
Type 1: Increased height from the hull

[ img ]
Type 2: Increased size of windows

[ img ]
Type 3: Both increased height size of windows

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: