Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Iquoris
Post subject: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 5th, 2010, 9:29 am
Hello everyone! I'm gonna try and keep this short, so: I'm pretty new to Shipbucket, and drawing ships on MS paint. I am generaly a boat and plane loving person, I know quite a bit about both, but I still have much to learn. I know almost nothing about ship-board electronics (radars, everything like that) and how to place weapons corectly. But, I tried pretty hard and some how came up with this:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Iquoris
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 5th, 2010, 9:30 am
Oops just realized rudder was gone
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 5th, 2010, 10:34 am
Welcome aboard. Just from a brief look: the bow looks wrong, with the rake and underwater section maybe creating difficulties. The railings need correcting to Shipbucket standard. The guidance radar appears more suitable for illuminating air targets, rather that the 'fire and forget' Harpoon. Good ssm but no defence apart from a light 20mm manually directed gun. The drone copter doesn't seem to have any on-board hangar and support. You also may be crewing this ship with two human variants: one small and one large, as the hatches are of diverse sizes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Iquoris
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 5th, 2010, 4:54 pm
Thank you! I shall correct it ASAP.

[Profile] [Quote]
Iquoris
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 5th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Quote:
Portsmouth Bill - Sept. 5 at 4:34am
Welcome aboard. Just from a brief look: the bow looks wrong, with the rake and underwater section maybe creating difficulties. The railings need correcting to Shipbucket standard. The guidance radar appears more suitable for illuminating air targets, rather that the 'fire and forget' Harpoon. Good ssm but no defence apart from a light 20mm manually directed gun. The drone copter doesn't seem to have any on-board hangar and support. You also may be crewing this ship with two human variants: one small and one large, as the hatches are of diverse sizes.
Alright! Fixed what you said. Got a teency-bit confused on 'rake' at first.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 6th, 2010, 7:24 am
Re the bow, it looks better, but to to be safe I would seek the advice of someone more knowledgable erik_t would be ideal. You've added a forward Bofors mount, though it looks like the 40mm and not the 57mm ( that would be a better bet), and you could change the 20mm for a Phallanx or such cicws. The railings are still incorrect, if you check out other drawings you'll get the idea. The two hatch sizes are not yet compatible, though with so many overweight sailors about the forward one may be useful as it is. Re the radars; you have a mix 'cherry picked' and in my limited knowledge they appear unsuitable in some ways. If that is a Signall 'egg' above the bridge you coud move it higher and have a less sophisticated air-search radar plus a navigation radar, they would probably be sufficient for a warship with this load of weapons.

I'm not quite sure what the this design is for; it has the armanent of an FAC on a corvette/small frigate hull. That said its coming along and and you're obviously keen to develop it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 6th, 2010, 8:15 am
the gun is the 57mm bofors found on charts. As it seems to be quite often mistaken as 40mm I have begun to wonder wheter we need a new take on that rather importan piece of ordanance...

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 6th, 2010, 12:05 pm
Yes, looking closer I can see now it is the bigger gun; but it also looks a bit too flush with the deck, and that would seriously interefere with its arc of fire.

[Profile] [Quote]
Iquoris
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 6th, 2010, 7:00 pm
So... fix bow and railing, swap 20mm for Phalanx/Goalkeeper style CIWS,more 'realistic' hatches, and change the radar suite?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Everest... my first (and un-clased?) shipPosted: September 7th, 2010, 8:19 am
It would certainly enhance the overall function; but I would suggest using this as a learning exercise, and move onto the next project. You've already got the most essential skill - an interest in improving, and the best advice I could offer is to concentrate on hull form, and the mission for the design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: