Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 10  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Quote:
But not ever a ships name. I can just imagine the problems with signalling :lol:
The signalman would be standing at the blinker light for quite some time!

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
But not ever a ships name. I can just imagine the problems with signalling :lol:
At least that would be a mercy. Can you imagine the poor schmuck who has to use wig-wag flags for signalling? :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 8:20 pm
Zephyr wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
At least that would be a mercy. Can you imagine the poor schmuck who has to use wig-wag flags for signalling? :shock:
Or traditional signal flags.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 8:33 pm
Thiel wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Or traditional signal flags.
:shock:
That is just cruel. They would end up with arms like Popeye.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 8:47 pm
Imagine the amount of signal flags they would have to run up the halyards. They may not even be able to fit the ship's name onto it! Looks like we're going to end up with a lot of dead sailors, since as we've been told it's a criminal offense to not say the entire name of the monarch!

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 9:07 pm
Not necessarily ALL ships in the Imperial Britannian Navy have a three letter code for example.
And the navy is exempt from the law be Imperial decree.

Emperor George I = EGI
Britannia = BTA
Latin = LTN
Norge = NRE

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 4th, 2012, 9:36 pm
Then why, for the love of all historical ship designers right now turning in their graves, do the ships themselves carry such long names?
But heck, this is the Germano-British empire/Empire of Brittania, laws of logic and physics are clearly not valid.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 8th, 2012, 10:26 pm
Hood. Why do I have to remove some of the 4.5'' guns?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Emperor George I class Super Battleship try two.Posted: February 11th, 2012, 10:43 am
You've got 48 4.5in guns, all of them have poor arcs and really there is no need for that many guns. These are designed to form an AA barrage and deter smaller ships from getting too close. With poor arcs they won't be able to bear onto most surface targets and for most purposes 24 guns would be ample to put up a decent AA barrage with proper directors etc. (which your ship also lacks). Anything over that is wasteful. Also such guns should have roughly 400-450 rounds per gun so for a normal battleship with 20-24 guns you would need magazine space for 8000-10,800 shells etc. With your design you need 19,200-21,600 shells. That would require masses of magazine space, hoists, manpower and armour.
Battleships reached a size and displacement limit for a reason, super-big battleships are not more effective. The practical return of adding more guns and armour and size because it looks cool or whatever is practically nil. You've got no better defence with 48 guns over 20-24 but in actual fact have a ship that is overbig, overheavy and generally is slower and less handy. The armour has to be stretched thinner to cover the vitals without piling on more weight which in turn means more engine power, more boilers, more size increase and more armour to cover the engine spaces etc. etc.

You should base your ideas on what is practical, with a bit of thought and understanding about why ships are the way they are and the design factors in them you will develop better ideas and better ships.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 10  [ 99 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10

Jump to: