Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
RP2Ryan
Post subject: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 5:04 am
Hello all I have been working on my design, while I know I am no where near as good as the artist here, I have done a lot of Kit Bashing for my own AUs. For the first time I am submitting one for consideration by the masters. It is a Crusier first designed in the late 1980, using many USN parts, but a few international systems to prevent a claim of American favortisim. She is powered by LM 2500 gas turbins and has been out fitted over the years with mainily American systems. I know it isn't as graceful and as well drawn as teh pros here, but I submit her as a WIP. I thank Collesuem for his Belknap hull.

I know you guys are hard and bad asses on any new designes, but I also know this is to enforce the standards and to help newbies be better. Please nit pick it away and hopefully I can make the Kingston a better design.

Thank you.

RP2 Ryan.
[ img ]
http://www.ryanzone.com/images/RCN_CG-1_e.png

PS: This is a WIP.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 6:33 am
Interesting design, I think it has good potential.

I'll start with the 'nit-picking' within my limited knowledge base - Why not quadpack ESSM in with the other Mk41 VLS cells? Even just sacrificing 8 cells would give you 32 missiles (which many navies find appropriate as the main air defence for frigate sized vessels). I would probably raise the helicopter deck up in line with the rest of you main deck - I can't see any issues with that (but keeping it at its current height could/would reduce its effectiveness in heavy weather). The funnels look cramped/too small, and I'm not sure about the size of the platforms for the SPG-62s either but I'll leave that to the experts. The middle Mk41 could interfere with the machinery space etc so perhaps you could exchange it for the RBS-15 launchers and position it between the hangers (if there are two) as on the Burkes, and you may want to move the life rafts to somewhere they can be accessed - especially the aft ones. Also, depending when the ship is being depicted I would consider adding a RHIB either instead of or as well as the current boat, and you would benefit from using the updated SPS-49 (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20&start=120)

I'll let the more knowledgable members go over in more detail but keep it up, as I said I think it has potential :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 6:38 am
Your second funnel is way too thin and there is also a lot of light gray haze. The Mk.48 Launcher seemed to be redundant on board as stated by Rowdy, and you have loads of RBS-15 over the hanger which would be impossible to be used up in much scenario. Your RAM launcher is also badly placed. The Oto 76mm gun can be a potential cause to serious top heavy issues.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 7:05 am
Moving to the Beginner Forum...

-TimothyC

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 8:56 am
Compared to some of the stuff we've been seeing lately, this isn't all that bad.
However there's still plenty of room for improvement.
Some of this have already been said, but it bear repeating.
  • The middle VLS is not going to fit there. You'll have to remove it or move it somewhere else. You could do like they did on the flight 2 Burkes and fit it between the two hangers.
  • That is an awful lot of anti ship missiles. I'd remove half of them and move them down midship since we've just cleared that space.
  • I'd also move the SeaSparrows inboard. Since we seem to have plenty of space amidship, I'd build a small deckhouse and install two Mk 48 mod 2s or a self-defence length Mk. 41.
  • While we're moving things inboard I'd move the liferafts to the hanger hanger roof.
  • And lastly (for now) I'd move the aft mast forward a bit and the 76mm aft a bit and install a funnel in the space in between.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 9:22 am
I just realized something with the funnel....... Is your ship using COSAG power plant since the first funnel looks the the one on Burke and the second one looks like those on Knox Class?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 10:33 am
first of all, years of availability for your systems. some of these depend on the year depicted by your drawing
- phalanx would be mod 0, not the block 1B, but would be updated later on
- ESSM became available around 2000
- mk 48 became available around 1990
- RBS-15 became available in 1985

then, parts: there are updated drawings of the following:
- mk 48
- oto 76
- SPS 48
- SPS 49
- WM 25 'egg'
- the boat

then, the design. most is already mentioned above, but I have a few minor points...
- mk 48 mod 1 can not just be placed over the water. for reload and for maintenance you still need an deck underneath it and an walkway next to it
- the stern feels really low
- you have to carry 4 kinds of ammunition with you. 5 inch, 3 inch and 2 kinds of 20mm, IIRC. it should be possible to lower this amount by choosing your guns differently
- the torpedo tubes in the hull might pierce your strenght structure.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP2Ryan
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 12:06 pm
I gots comments:

Timothy: TY for correcting my post. I should have put it here in the Beginners forum in the first place. . TY for the correction.

Thiel: Your comment "has potential"...wow...I'm honored, TY. really. not sucking up. I have feared posting for years because I didn't think I was worthy. THANK YOU!.

Rowdy: TY the second VLS would be a pain in the arse, so I deleted it and moved the Mk 48 Mod 1 there. It makes more sense, I also move the inflatable life rafts to the hanger roof.

acelanceloet: I see your point. As this ship was designed there were many systems added. I have tried to make her in the late 90s refit. I deleted the hull mounted TT as the ASROC makes them redundant. The Helos and the VLS make them non-necessary.

The nation of Carribbia is institutionally paranoid of ASW (a WWII Hold-over) and focuses on this threat. The secondary threat is drug running. The Navy focuses on Light, fast craft. 2 (CODAG) Cruisers, 6 (CODAG) Destroyers, 12 Frigates (Guess what, also CODAG).

As designed she was a 1984 ship, and she was updated along the way. As she stands she is a 2010 design for a nation that has limited funds, but a lot of ocean to cover. She and her sister ship (or two others if funding and politics) allow are to be flagships, two Caribbean and one pacific fleets. The large hanger allows two ASW helos, 1 gunship and 1 troop transport.

Again Carribia is focused on ASW and then AAW. Anti-air is largely left to the AF and NavAir, where as the Navy's primay goal is sub hunting than anti-surface, anphibious war operations.

[ img ]

Last edited by RP2Ryan on December 18th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 12:15 pm
-.- you can't fit the mod 1 MK 48 over there, because it is an bulkhead mounted system. you are going to need mod 0 then.
torpedo's are likely to stay fitted, for example the spruance class had torpedo tubes, helicopters and ASROC. aside from that, many of the above points still stand.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: My First WIP, Republic of Caribbia Navy Design CG (AU)Posted: December 18th, 2011, 1:31 pm
I still doubt the position of the forward RAM launcher since its firing arc looks limited

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: