Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 29th, 2011, 7:32 pm
So, I discovered that I had a gap in my cruisers, and needed something to fill it. I thought that something analogous to the Active class light scout cruisers might do the trick.

[ img ]

A couple notes on this kitbash. It is essentially a Town class reduced in size. I wanted something similarly sized and armed to the Active class scouts. However, I made a flub. When looking at the particulars, I goofed. I read 385', which is correct..... for the P/P measurement. O/A they were 406'. Oops. But, by that time I had the 385' length done and didn't really want to redraw the whole damn thing. In my defence, done at 5:30 AM. :? So, what I did instead was reduce the armament from 10 x 4" to 8 x 4". Speaking of which, I replaced the 6" of Portsmouth Bill's Adelaide with 4" guns, giving this thing an armament of 8 x 4" and 2 x 2 pdr. Its 1908, AA was unheard of at the time. I tried to keep the funnel arrangement of the Active's, 4 funnels, and from looking at the few pics I have of that class they seemed to go in a thin, large, thin, thin arrangement fore to aft. I went with that. I suppose I could try and come up with some BS on why my Adventure class has that arrangement, but that would require actual thought, and I'm not feeling so hot today. (Boss sent me home early, said I looked like hell. I had to agree with him considering I had just tossed my cookies out behind our building) I also lowered the hull by about 1 deck to give it a more sleek look, and not like a Town class somebody had took a bite out of. Short and sleek is good ... short and squat, not so good.

The concept of these light cruisers is that they are a class of 6 designed as destroyer leaders, flagships for destroyer flotillas, but sized and armed as a light cruiser. Armor protection is very light, not much to speak of and about the same as an average destroyer might have. They aren't designed to go toe-to-toe with the big boys, thats fer sure.

Comments and suggestions, as always, are welcomed. Guffaws and raspberries will be either ignored or shot with a paintball gun. depends on my mood. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 29th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Nice, but I sure hope it has more protection than the destroyers of its time since they essentially had none.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 29th, 2011, 11:30 pm
It looks very nice indeed.
Just two small details:
1) portholes and "stairs" (I don't know English term) below the Y turret;
2) stern rangefinder/searchlight platform seems to be located on VERY thin pillars - I'd suggest to make them 3 pixels thick.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 29th, 2011, 11:39 pm
I agree with Eswube. You're definitely going to need heavier supports for the aft range finder. You might also want to enlarge the platform a bit so the three crew can move about.
Also, I'd find a way to fit a searchlight up front. A night attack by torpedo boats were one of the biggest fears a commander of the time had, but right now you'll have a hard time shooting at anything attacking from the front quarter or passing in front of you. It would make night time navigation easier as well.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 29th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Good points. I'll work on those.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 30th, 2011, 2:21 am
How much wider should those supports be? I would think 12 pixels (6 feet) would be sufficient? Unless of course y'all think I'll have Gabriel Iglacias operating one of the searchlights.

besides, I figure since that platform is the original taken from the Adelaide (by Portsmouth Bill) I based this on, its probably quite workable. *shrug*

Last edited by Zephyr on December 30th, 2011, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 30th, 2011, 4:32 am
Besides you showing talent in ship drawing I notice you make excellent bagdes too. I'm looking forward to you also will draw badges for real life ships ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 30th, 2011, 4:44 am
Thanks. Though honestly, I'm much better at adding and rearranging than I am at the actual drawing. ;)

I may be a bit busy with badges for a while though. Working on updating all the badges I did for my ships back in 2006, cleaning them up and the like.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 30th, 2011, 2:03 pm
added searchlight to the forward tripod mast. two actually, but as they re side by side, you can only see one.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor (AU) Adventure class light cruiserPosted: December 30th, 2011, 3:10 pm
There still remains this to be done:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: