Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Prizyetsa
Post subject: [closed]Posted: January 15th, 2012, 12:11 am
Alright. When I first started drawing here sometime last year, I was told to do a real ship for practice. I was stupid, and shrugged off the advice, thinking that it was just a waste of time, and that I didn't need any practice. I was wrong. Although I am improving and making better quality drawings that I ever have, I feel that some practice would be very beneficial to my drawing.

For practice, I looked through a book I bought a few years ago ("Fighting Ships of the World" by Robert Jackson and Steve Crawford, ISBN# 1-84013-647-2) and decided to do the Novik. When searching for a picture online, I found many quality pictures of the Russian Novik class, the one I intend to use as a source is below.

[ img ]
http://homepages.thm.de/~hg6339/data/ru ... stalin.jpg

I've scaled the ship according to the info I got from wikipedia, which I know isn't the best souce, but I though it would would be ok. I'll be getting most of my other info from there as well such as armements, etc.

I have one question before I start:

The picture is dated 1910. From what I understand, the Novik class was first launched in 1911. Could this be the year that the design was chosen?

Anyways, I apologize in advance in case this one's been done, but I intend this to be purely for practice/research techniques. Thoughts?

Currently working on engines for the bellow deck parts sheet

Last edited by Prizyetsa on January 15th, 2012, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Prizyetsa
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 1:00 am
Havn't gotten much done, but I'm pretty happy with the outline. More tomorrow!

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 1:29 am
I'll guess you're thoughts about 1910 is the year for the decission of the final design is right. Also nice move you're honest to admit that all the advices from older members to newbies to draw real ships first isn't that bad at all. :D
Said that it looks real promising ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 2:42 am
Just a suggestion: Find where the gun pivots from, and angle from that, because right now you have the barrel at a 45° to the breach.

Keep up the good work. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 4:16 am
Prizyetsa wrote:
The picture is dated 1910. From what I understand, the Novik class was first launched in 1911. Could this be the year that the design was chosen?
As far as I know Novik was laid down in July 1910 and launched in June 1911; the project was developed with assistance of German engineers from "Vulcan". Hope that helps.
Now some bad news...
First of all this drawing is not Novik, it's the Orphey class and it can be seen clearly on the web-site you took that image from. Secondly, Gollevainen has already drawn this class: http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... nyekht.png

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 11:42 am
Great start, this is exactly what new members should be doing! It's the only way to get better in my opinion...
TimothyC wrote:
Just a suggestion: Find where the gun pivots from, and angle from that, because right now you have the barrel at a 45° to the breach.
The guns should be trained fore and aft with the barrels horizontal, unless they physically incapable of doing so.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 12:07 pm
jabba wrote:
Great start, this is exactly what new members should be doing! It's the only way to get better in my opinion...
TimothyC wrote:
The guns should be trained fore and aft with the barrels horizontal, unless they physically incapable of doing so.

Jabba, I am fully aware of the rule. This is one of the cases where it is physically impossible for them to be in said position.

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 12:22 pm
I beg your pardon, I was looking at the wrong 'Novik' drawing:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm
If you want to draw a ship that hasn't been drawn as opposed to just continuing with this for practice, here's a list of undrawn ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Prizyetsa
Post subject: Re: Novic class 1911 (Practice)Posted: January 15th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Perhaps the BNS Bangabandhu? link I did a quick search for the word "Bangabandhu" in the forum search box, and nothing came up.

As for my original idea, it was solely meant for practice, not to replace anything in the archives. I felt that I needed more practice, and the Novic class seemed to be a ship which wasn't super-complicated. I'm abandoning the idea now though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: