Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 11th, 2012, 10:47 pm
The strange cut-out near the stern is very unlikely. It introduces a huge weak point in the hull for no apparent reason.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 11th, 2012, 11:13 pm
14 pixels high decks is fine. Maybe the other parts are too big. As for life boats may I suggest going for the parts sheet thread where Bezzo made Royal navy boats and there are others (WhyMe excellent USN boats). For a 1920's ship I'd go for turreted secondaries (HMS Nelson and Rodney are a good case)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 11th, 2012, 11:27 pm
Will do, oh and those lifeboats were from the life boats part thread.
And turreted secondaries it is :)

As for the cutout... if I find a reason can I keep it? *big eyes* I really like how it looks... I just haven't thought of a purpose yet...

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 1:20 am
Ok, here's where I am so far, I still have to recolor the main guns but I'll worry about that later. I'm mostly focusing on the superstructure right now, trying to get it more 1919 feeling, give or take a few years. I'll also recolor the motorboats when I think of how I want them colored. The lifeboats were taken from the HMS Nelson. The center gun idea was taken from the SMS Kronprinz. I've also removed the barbette guns while keeping the turrets for secondaries. I took even more from the HMS Revenge for the superstructure, I'm really hoping the flying bridge helps give it the right feeling for time period.

[ img ]
Ceasar Class WIP 5 by ~~@ Lord Malachi @~~ The Awesome Coon of Awesome, on Flickr

Getting better? Or am I spinning my wheels?

Also could someone explain how these ships launch their smallboats? Because looking at several of them it looks like their crew just picks them up and drops them overboard. The HMS Nelson for instance has a boom overhanging them, but it doesn't reach over the side of the ship o.0 I know the lifeboats have the davits, but what of the other boats? And I can't seem to find anything about it on google either :(

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 1:37 am
At first I wasn't going to say anything as it was shaping up as a relatively nice ship but now it's gotten to the point where the design is becoming overwrought with design and aesthetic choices to make it a Badass Imperial(TM) ship and going way too overboard on it.

Even just from an approach as an art/design exercise, and not as drawing a ship, you've reached the point where it needs to be toned down.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 1:51 am
Suggestions then? I asked earlier if the center section should be removed to make it shorter and no one said anything, and I could make it a fair bit shorter by bringing the main guns closer together and eliminating the saved space. Making it a shorter ship is the only way I can think of to make it less beeftastic because the only thing that's really standing out as being different from many other flagships I've being seeing, on and off of SB. The Kronprinz was a 5 turret battleship so even having that many turrets didn't seem too big a deal to me. Unless perhaps they should be a smaller caliber? I thought 16" was fairly normal for battleships. I, as a fledgling builder, don't see anything out of place in the armament, propulsion, structure, anywhere, other than perhaps length. But when I asked, no one commented on it.
I really am trying to keep it decent, I guess I just don't know how.

And thank you for deciding to voice your concern, it actually does mean a lot to me.

Edit: I could also drop the props from 5 to 4, or even 3, if that would help.
I'm just frustrated atm because I've been being told that I had too much, be it too much superstructure or too many guns (The barbettes I removed), so I addressed those, I thought I was giving the ship less, but then your post claims the opposite, that I'm making it worse as I go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 2:16 am
man i think those gun in the middle are too much for the ship.maybe you can creat an another funnel or resize it.(that's my opinion)

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 2:22 am
Ok, so go back to three funnels, I can do that. I saw the Kronprinz's 5th center gun and used the idea thinking it was a distinctly 1919ish thing to do, but if it's too much, then it's too much.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 3:27 am
LordMalachi wrote:
Suggestions then?
Just tone it down. As in a few dials back from 11 and such.

It's not just the size but the overall aesthetic style - I know you're trying to go for a certain baroque style with the extremely thick pillars and platforms but it's starting to look a little cartoony. Just a little thinner here and there at places.
Quote:
I asked earlier if the center section should be removed to make it shorter and no one said anything, and I could make it a fair bit shorter by bringing the main guns closer together and eliminating the saved space.
You could use it as boat storage like most ships. I have no idea why you want to spread your boats all along the deck where it'll interfere with crew's jobs. Or hell keep the center turret, it just looks kinda stuck-on as it sits right now.
Quote:
The Kronprinz was a 5 turret battleship so even having that many turrets didn't seem too big a deal to me.
Well this thing had six and it was a real ship (sunk real good too!)

[quote[I thought 16" was fairly normal for battleships.[/quote]

14-15 inches. The Americans employed the largest mean battleship gun diameter in history and even then not all 16-inch guns were created equally.
Quote:
I, as a fledgling builder, don't see anything out of place in the armament, propulsion, structure, anywhere, other than perhaps length.
For the most part there isn't. My main problem is actually with the design aesthetics themselves. It was looking like an interesting exercise at a slightly over-exaggerated supership but now I'm feeling it's getting a little cartoony in places. Mostly, it's the details.
Quote:
But when I asked, no one commented on it.
Well I was just waiting to see where it was going because it looked decent so far.
Quote:
I really am trying to keep it decent, I guess I just don't know how.

And thank you for deciding to voice your concern, it actually does mean a lot to me.
Well honestly it's kinda pointless to keep it decent if you're going to do a monstrous supership like this so why not put some flair in?

And you're welcome, uh, I guess.
Quote:
Edit: I could also drop the props from 5 to 4, or even 3, if that would help.
I'm just frustrated atm because I've been being told that I had too much, be it too much superstructure or too many guns (The barbettes I removed), so I addressed those, I thought I was giving the ship less, but then your post claims the opposite, that I'm making it worse as I go.
*shrug* I don't have a problem with it. The tiny rudder looks a little silly since you have a larger one. And one solution towards the hull stress problem Erik mentioned would be to turn the quarterdeck into superstructure - in Shipbucket style, you do that by changing everything above the main deck into the same color as the rest of the superstructure. An unarmored, lightweight structure wouldn't have too much trouble being there.

Like I said, I think it's getting somewhat overloaded in stylistic details but that's not all that big of a problem.

Also I didn't have a problem with the third funnel. It looked purposeful and it makes a lot of ship with this size and many shafts. I dunno who did, or why.

Anyway, someone else recently did a supership of comparable scale: http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... s-1-10.png You can decide for yourself what to borrow, design and aesthetics-wise.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 4:10 am
Extremely thick pillars and platforms... I'll have to figure out which you're reffering to. The platforms I think I know, there are a few rather thick areas above the bridge, but the pillars I'm not sure. Other than the masts the only pillars I have are 1px, 3 with outline, and at a foot and a half that seems fairly normal...

As for the center, I think I will go back to a third funnel, and move the boat storage to the top deck around the funnels. I had them out on the edge because I found it common in battleships of the time to keep the large boats up top, and have smaller rowboats along the edge. But you're right, they'd be more out of the way up by the funnels.

And changing the stern section into a separate superstructure is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I've been using these as my design and aesthetics inspirations:
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... leship.png
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... NSMITH.png
And the unfinished Superior that you listed.

The first two explain why I have so many rivets lol.

And I'll drop the guns down to 15" I think.

As for your commenting meaning a lot, I just meant that I've noticed in my years designing things that very often people have an opinion but don't voice it. The designer/artist can't improve something if they don't know it needs to be improved, or how. Even if 10 people all have the same opinion, I'd like to hear it from all 10 people, it helps me judge the importance of the opinion, or how much of the opinion to take. Like if one person told me the shading looked out of place on the hull I'd probably brush it off since I like it, and I've seen several works use similar lighting on a similar ship. But if 20 people told me it looked out of place and why, I'd probably remove it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: