Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 5:08 am
Holy crap o.o Just swapping to 15" guns saves a ton of deck space, I know it'd be over gunning it but I could fit 7 or 8 guns on here now, just based on how much space they take up.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 8:45 am
Ok, thinned out the platforms as best as I could, changed the stern to a superstructure, filled in that gap in the stern with a loading section (Gotta get supplies onboard some how right?) Changed the guns to 15"s, I'm not going to put the directors back on because I'm confused about their size, after looking closer at one of the ships I was referencing I noticed the directors were about twice as big as on the part sheet, but the part sheet is accurate, so I'll just go without *shrug*
I also added the ship name and Naval Assembly Contract designation, and I made a ship badge for fun. Brought the third funnel back and moved the lifeboats up there. I think that's everything...

[ img ]
Ceasar Class WIP 6 by ~~@ Lord Malachi @~~ The Awesome Coon of Awesome, on Flickr

Edit: Hmm... is it just me or is the eagle on the badge a little messy?
Oh, and I removed the smaller rudder, moving the props back farther.

So unless you guys think of something else, I think all I have left are the flag lines and other such wires. Right?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 10:06 am
Not a bad start.
A few minor points;
The funnels are too big, width is fine but they are too high.
What's with the glazed stern viewing platforms these days? I know sailing ships had quite ornate sterns and lots of windows but really its a design feature that died out. Saying that your's looks a bit better than ADPAFs.
Not sure on the cranes and crates, most ships made do with a couple of booms and the odd davit.
You probably need a second boom between the funnels to serve all those ship's boats
The tripod masts look a little thick, looks like they could withstand an A-Bomb let alone a bade gale!

Some SB style errors, we never ever show rivets. This is a no-no, its been discussed before and rejected. Also we never use grey lines to indicate window shine like you have on the windows aft. The hull shading is pretty freestyle compared to what's in the rules but hull shading seems to have evolve a lot recently.

Other than that its an interesting design and you've done a good job.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 10:22 am
So that's what glazed means o.o I've been wondering for a while. I know it died out, but I liked the gallery from the Superior class, and Heuhen said he'd like it if it stayed a Haram thing (in one of the posts in the thread he was working on it in.) So I opted for the next closest thing, plus I liked it as a throwback to sailing ships.
I can deff add a second boom for the boats, can 2 booms work the same airspace smoothly? So I can fit the second one right to the other funnel? And I can thin up the masts, I noticed a lot of people saying ADPAF's were too thin so I guess I erred on the side of caution lol.
And lowering the funnels isn't a problem at all.
And the crates and cranes... well... poo...

As for the rivets... I guess the ship will just never qualify for SB standards, because I honestly hate how it looks without them. With a passion. The window shine I can deal with dropping, but if in the end the only thing that disqualifies it are rivets, I'm personally content with that, sorry.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 1:39 pm
LordMalachi wrote:
So that's what glazed means o.o I've been wondering for a while. I know it died out, but I liked the gallery from the Superior class, and Heuhen said he'd like it if it stayed a Haram thing (in one of the posts in the thread he was working on it in.) So I opted for the next closest thing, plus I liked it as a throwback to sailing ships.
I can deff add a second boom for the boats, can 2 booms work the same airspace smoothly? So I can fit the second one right to the other funnel? And I can thin up the masts, I noticed a lot of people saying ADPAF's were too thin so I guess I erred on the side of caution lol.
And lowering the funnels isn't a problem at all.
And the crates and cranes... well... poo...

As for the rivets... I guess the ship will just never qualify for SB standards, because I honestly hate how it looks without them. With a passion. The window shine I can deal with dropping, but if in the end the only thing that disqualifies it are rivets, I'm personally content with that, sorry.
So we are two Heuhen fans ;)

But keep going it's getting good

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Quote:
My rule of thumb for "whether or not I should draw this part" is this: stand back 300 yards from the ship (about the size an SB ship would appear as if viewing in real life). Can you see that detail? If yes, draw it. If not, don't draw it.

I don't think rivets are visible at 300 yards!

But it is your choice as this is an AU ship.

Edit: Also, I hate to ask, but what is the specific timeframe of this ship? If it's anything post-WWI, then it needs some form of directors, even if they're just big optical rangefinders somewhere up on the superstructure.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Hood wrote:
Not a bad start.
A few minor points;
The funnels are too big, width is fine but they are too high.
What's with the glazed stern viewing platforms these days? I know sailing ships had quite ornate sterns and lots of windows but really its a design feature that died out. Saying that your's looks a bit better than ADPAFs.
Not sure on the cranes and crates, most ships made do with a couple of booms and the odd davit.
You probably need a second boom between the funnels to serve all those ship's boats
The tripod masts look a little thick, looks like they could withstand an A-Bomb let alone a bade gale!

Some SB style errors, we never ever show rivets. This is a no-no, its been discussed before and rejected. Also we never use grey lines to indicate window shine like you have on the windows aft. The hull shading is pretty freestyle compared to what's in the rules but hull shading seems to have evolve a lot recently.

Other than that its an interesting design and you've done a good job.
I'm going to offer a difference of opinion, as I've said, since I recognize this as an exaggerated supership and I'm going to take a bet that you understand the general basics of Shipbucket style.

First of all I miss those 16-inch turrets. I don't think I said I ever had a problem with them or the middle turret. Right now it seems almost akin to a heavy cruiser with the punch of a patrol craft and I kinda regret making the statement that "The US Navy had the largest mean diameter of battleship guns in WWII" as apparently I've given the wrong impression. It'll also help "scale down" the exaggerated features of the rest of the ship in comparison.

And speaking of which (and keep in mind I'm speaking strictly from an aesthetic design standpoint):

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
My rule of thumb for "whether or not I should draw this part" is this: stand back 300 yards from the ship (about the size an SB ship would appear as if viewing in real life). Can you see that detail? If yes, draw it. If not, don't draw it.

I don't think rivets are visible at 300 yards!

But it is your choice as this is an AU ship.

Edit: Also, I hate to ask, but what is the specific timeframe of this ship? If it's anything post-WWI, then it needs some form of directors, even if they're just big optical rangefinders somewhere up on the superstructure.
I would use that rule of thumb as it's perfect for utmost realism, but I'm an artist before I'm a designer and I'll opt for artistic license over realism if it means it's more visually appealing, at least to me. As I said in one of my older threads, if I don't like how something looks, I don't have a reason to make it. The exception to this would be if I was being paid for the project xD

As for the time period, I'm going with a roughly 1919 time (As early as 1916 and as late as 1924), And the area highlighted as "Should be armored tower" is actually where one of the directors was meant to go lol but I'm still confused about their size. I'll do some more research today now that I've gotten some sleep. That and I'm almost desperately trying not to give it a 40's look, because that seems to be my default thought process, I have to think my way forwards or backwards in time from there depending on if I want an older or newer ship.

I'm not really sure how to un-detail the flying bridge... unless I just make it smaller (height wise) but the observation room up top I could remove the panel lines. I didn't realize those were what you were referring to with the over detailedness. How odd would it be to mix 15 and 16 inch guns? I can deff add a few more secondaries though, and I like the open mount idea, I might try that with a 5" gun. Oh and I dropped the center gun because it did make more sense to me to use the center area for the lifeboats. During the 40s refit I might try and bring it back, since I should be able to make do with one large funnel just aft of the main superstructure, that would leave a lot of space open in the center.

I'll get back to work soon as I eat something for breakfast :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 11:21 pm
I'll suggest adding catapults instead of crates.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: Julius Class Battleship (Now Ceasar Class)Posted: February 12th, 2012, 11:28 pm
Are catapults ok for the time period? I thought someone said they were too modern when I had them on in the beginning... I was deff going to add them during the 40's refit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: