Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 6 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 1:48 am
I guess that's what I was trying to say, is there's far more to it than just drawing a real ship. The drawing has very little to do with anything, it's the research into the real ship that makes the difference. Given accurate and detailed schematics, anyone can sit down and copy an existing ship. Creating a new one from scratch, at the same level of realism as a real ship, requires the designer to actually design a ship, to be in the mind of an entire team dedicated to creating a new ship. That takes skill and talent, or we'd all be being paid by companies to design and build new ships.

It's far easier to sit down and draw a Firebird than to come up with a feasible and eye pleasing design to compete with a Firebird. Again, anyone with sufficient references could draw a very nice looking Firebird, but true creativity and knowledge of how things work are required to build an entirely new car.

Anyone can sit down and draw the internal mechanics of a G36 if they have some nice pictures of it. But to design a completely new, realistically functioning mechanic, you have to understand how weight and spring strength effect the bolt, how the burn speed of the powder effects the time before the gas piston acts on the bolt, how the shape of the ammunition may effect the feeding and cycling, even how placement of various parts effects the user's ability to handle the rifle. None of that is needed to simply copy an existing design though. And even then, you need the creativity to make the new design different enough from the G36 that it becomes better than the G36, or no one will have any reason to purchase it.

If everyone sat around designing the same thing over and over again throughout history, we'd still be fighting with sticks and stones, we'd still be using piles of hay to sleep on. In fact, that's not even designing, designing implies creation of something, and when you create something, the result is something new, something that didn't exist before. Copying a design isn't designing, it's copying.

Lol we share the opinion that research is the most important factor, but from there we seem to have very opposite views on how research effects things.

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 2:20 am
Quote:
Creating a new one from scratch, at the same level of realism as a real ship, requires the designer to actually design a ship
We don't expect this level of realism from AU designers. We expect it to be reasonble, but no one here is going to fault you if "gun mount 54 is on the intersection of frame 96 and 97". The OP's drawing is so blatantly without any knowledge of ship design that it practically beggars belief.

Anyway, is there a point you're going to arrive at any time soon? I'm well and truly lost with whatever it is you're trying to say here.

[Profile]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 2:50 am
Well yes, the OPs drawing is rather horrid.

My point is that the viewpoint of copied works requiring more skill and talent than AU builds is completely wrong.

[Profile]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 3:35 am
Is this better, so far?=

[Profile]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 3:37 am
Not to any meaningful degree.

[Profile]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 3:41 am
It will run steam pressure, will have three turrets ( two on bow and one on stern) and a lot of modern Rocket launchers, two prop pods, two rudders, four denny brown stablizers, and a clean, futuristic superstructure.

[Profile]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 3:48 am
oh, wups. It will have four fixed engine pods.
I also reduced the height of the submerged section of the ship, 'cause it was starting to look fat.
I added the extra haul for more balast and space for ammo and crew quarters in the first place
Just did this=

Last edited by KES Paige captain on February 14th, 2012, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 4:01 am
why is the background gray

also tempted to call the hull color "YMCA pink"

I feel sorry for you, I agree you must have such terrible life, and no girl give you attention, The boys leaved because they were not having a safe feeling when beeing with you. Police never found you. Docters did suidice, because they where impressed you was not killed by birth :)

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 4:35 am
Quote:
My point is that the viewpoint of copied works requiring more skill and talent than AU builds is completely wrong.
So you're telling me that drawing AU superbattleships is more meritous than drawing, say, BB-61 USS Iowa in 1943? If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that all my research, my assembly of sources, my long hours perfecting each drawing, and my time spent are worth less to you than this thread?

AU drawings made by someone like RP1, an experienced naval architect who does it for a living, take more skill and talent than drawing real life ships. The other stuff doesn't. Simple as that.

I've been at this a long time and I know how it works from both directions, and in this case you are 100% incorrect.

edit: Wait a minute, now I get what you're saying. You're saying that the people who design actual ships have more skill and talent than I do. In that point I definitely agree -- those people work for naval architecture and shipbuilding firms. I'd damn well hope they're more skilled and talented than a college kid from Texas who draws MSPaint ships! :p

[Profile]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: futuristic battleship; HELP on superstructure.Posted: February 14th, 2012, 4:43 am
It helps me to draw and see my changes. On my old computer, when i drew this "Pixel Fungus" would grow on the white parts of the drawing and eventually blur the entire image, so i made it gray and got used to it. But i do not know if Pixel Fungus works onthe drawings on my Macbook Air. So if it annoys you, i can turn it back white if you want. I think it is a nice red. here=

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 6 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: