Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
nigevids
Post subject: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 12:09 am
All my drawings are done for my Terra AU which diverges from ours from about 1750. Some political units diverge earlier some later depending on their original affiliation.

HMS Argus is still the first through deck aircraft carrier produced being completed for service September 1918.

My first solo effort utilising a line drawing and creating the colouring myself. With a lot of the 'bits' I have not reinvented the wheel and I still think after 30 years using computers that the best commands are "copy & paste".

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 12:28 am
welcome to SB:

- Wrong window color
- picture saved as JPG, that is a big no n in shipbucket, save it as a PNG or GIF.

Shipbucket - Introduction and Guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16

We have a limited space on the forum for Attachments so use a picture host instead:

How to Upload with Photobucket
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=402

MajHost.com tutorial
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=985

Imageshack Tutorial
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1904

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 12:40 am
And last but certainly not least Credits
heuhen wrote:
- picture saved as JPG, that is a big no n in shipbucket, save it as a PNG or GIF.
It's not, but the underwater hull have been resized.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 12:46 am
Overall not a bad drawing, a few things to consider other than what Huehen has said:
~Outlines around the bow, stern, forward 4" :?: and where the island meets the hull are a bit janky
~There's a weird grey line on the flight deck beginning after the 1st mast
~Incomplete portholes near the aft AA mounts
~Double black line running along the hull is a no-no
~The thingy behind the aft 4" :?: doesn't look like pixel art
~railings above bridge windows are unneccsary
~Life boats look like they came off of the old parts sheets, you can find better ones here
~Those hurricanes you have didn't fly until 1935, and weren't introduced until 2 years later

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
nigevids
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 2:19 am
Thank you all for the usefull comments, Thiel is right in that I should have given Hood some credit as I pinched his flightdeck and bridge superstructure off the Furious 1942. Raxar, you will have to ask him about "~railings above bridge windows are unneccsary" also they are Hoods Hurricanes and the boats are also from the same drawing. I have noted the Post as 1943 as the director on the bridge is carrying a radar aerial. The (1932-mod) refers to the last major rebuild/modification the ship went through in the AU.
The 'thingy' at the back I think is leftover from when I resized the Janes Fighting Ships drawing to SB size. It is probably supposed to be something to do with the aft moorings or maybe part of the original crane. The resize of the JFS drawing is where those double lines will have come from and it is probably my laziness they remained. My bad.

The incomplete portholes are inattention to detail - rushing it to a finish. I'm not sure about the grey line, is that the one just above the boats that does not appear to have any use (that inattention thingy again).

Looking at all the reference drawings I have from JFS and BS/BC 1900-1960 none of them are going to be an easy fit to SB drawings. All are going to require a large amount of work. I found it easier to make these as kitsets in 1/700 scale....

I also note and i'm not sure of whether the aerials joining the middle mast should be as they are or 3 into 1.

A question: am I allowed to open an AU in that part of the forum with a link pointing to the AU I have already with 50-60 pages on my ISP's homepages. They also only have a 50mb limit so I might as well use theirs.??

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 7:05 am
LOL! Who is the first whish can make a list with comments!! Epic Fail..

Welcome Aboard Nigevids.

[Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 7:44 am
Welcome Nigevids!

Nice to see someone else try their hands at a Commonwealth Interwar AU Carrier!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 8:34 am
Yes, a very promising start, notwithstanding the amount of corrections (mentioned above) particularly with black lines, and the bothched hull. BTW, Raxar, we're not looking at 'railing above the bridge windows', these are meant to be wind baffles common on open bridges. But re the windows, I would change them to discreet smaller ones with a two pixel gap, the ones you've got look far too modern. And re crediting, please, please, don't go down the road of crediting every single item you've taken from other drawings. We have tried repeatedly to tell folk, but without success. Put simply:

If you take a chunk from anothers drawing, sufficient to recognise: i.e. hull, or superstructure, then yes, show their name first before yours; this is particularly the case where folk take the actual drawing of another and 'kitbash' it.

And if you've got an AU to post, you can do that seperately if you wish, and continue here for a while. And, thankyou for having the modesty to begin in 'beginners'; I'm finding it tiresome having to continously move new members after they post in the wrong sections.
Welcome Aboard :)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 8:37 am
As others have said, a promising start, and welcome to the board.

[Profile] [Quote]
nigevids
Post subject: Re: AU Commonwealth, HMS Argus 1943Posted: February 15th, 2012, 11:09 am
Trying out the photobucket image thingy. Probably muck it up - but I'm having fun.

(not)

The above photobucket has the alterations.

Last edited by nigevids on February 15th, 2012, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: