Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 10:11 pm
Yes, something like that...! But with a big f*ck-off ram at the front end. ;D I think the ship Wells is describing is definitely something bigger and badder than the real-life Polyphemus, but still something long and low and nimble, so more cruiser-like than battleship-like. I believe some of the late C19th RN cruisers were designed to act as rams when ramming was still considered a viable tactic in fleet battles, so the vision in my head is something along those lines, but maybe with scaled-up versions of some of Polyphemus's design quirks. You know, for the fun of it. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 4th, 2012, 7:47 am
JjeeporCreepor wrote:
I thought I'd used the standard template for small vessels and the correct fonts etc -
Maybe you use an old temaplate, "new" one has shipbucket logo in right lower corner. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 4th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Welcome aboard, and what a fine start!

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 4th, 2012, 6:34 pm
Thank you very much!

I've done some more work on this one today - changed to what I hope is the correct template, toned down/re-coloured the hull shading below the waterline and spent what seemed like a very long time trying to correct the shape of the bow-rudders - it's very difficult to get the right shape at this scale due to pixellation and so on, but this is my best shot:

[ img ]

And an alternative white/buff colour scheme based on a photo I found where she appears to have been repainted in those colours:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 6th, 2012, 11:07 am
The red shading is a bit too extreme, may be tone it back a bit?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 7th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Rodondo wrote:
The red shading is a bit too extreme, may be tone it back a bit?
You're right - I don't really like it. I've gone back to using the darker hull colours I see on some of the Victorian-era drawings in the site archive - I'm not sure whether this meets the current Shipbucket standards or not, but I think it suits this design better:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Last edited by JjeeporCreepor on March 7th, 2012, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 7th, 2012, 10:06 pm
I must admit I do prefer the darker colour hull for this period ship.I would still go lighter by 2 notches of the same colour for the shade,and leave the keel and rudder the same as is.At the end of the day mate you have to use what looks right to you.Very nice drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: HMS PolyphemusPosted: March 8th, 2012, 12:06 am
Thanks very much. Yes, I'll probably fiddle with it a bit more till I find a shade I can live with.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: