Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page « 1 … 13 14 15 16 17 18 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 18th, 2010, 11:11 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Remember, I said LIMITED amphibious assault capability. One hovercraft.
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. The space (volume) requirements for amphibious ops run headlong into the space for carrier ops. not to long ago I posted some of Stuart Slade's explanation on small carriers and their relation to Amphibious warfare ships (This post). This design isn't all that good conceptually.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 3:27 am
EMALS for Catapults.
The ship is 160 feet wide. What if I put the LCAC towards one side, and the rest of the Amphibious Fleet on the other side, so that Longitudally only 150 feet is occupied?
I like the concept of 3 ships in one, so Im gonna keep it like that. The airwing can be changed out, so that its an air superiority force, a marine assault force, or a mix of both.
The powerplant is diesel.

PB, Im still working on it. I just posted for feedback.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 3:39 am
Yeah, that isn't going to work well at all.

Have you read that series of posts yet?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 3:45 am
Yeah. Im still trying to "understand it," but apparently it doesnt work?

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 3:52 am
The functions of an CATOBAR carrier and an Amphibious assult craft are mutually exclusive, unless you want a 110+ thousand ton Ship that does neither job very well. This ship is at most 35 thousand tons. At this displacement you get one roll of the other. You simply don't have the displacement to do both.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 3:54 am
Ok, so I just keep it as a VTOL Carrier?
What about a ski ramp and arrested recovery?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 11:07 am
Catapults in a Diesel engined ship are at best an impossibility. To launch a 15ton aircraft at 100 kts you need a lot of power. A steam catapult provides that power, and you need steam for that, and if you have Diesel engines, than you will need also boilers to provide steam. That means space, usually below deck, preferably below the water line (boilers are heavy, and keeping them below helps with stability). In a ship that size, both Diesel engines (which take space) and biolers for steam for the catapults (also space) the ship will be cramped to say the least. On top of that you want a flodable dock for your amphibious operations, I fail to see where all of this is going. And we did not mention how fast is that ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 19th, 2010, 1:17 pm
and when you use EMALS, you still need that power, but then not in steam but in electricity. so you will still need an nuclear powerplant IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 22nd, 2010, 12:07 am
What about hydraulics?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: October 22nd, 2010, 10:25 am
ezgo394 wrote:
What about hydraulics?
not powerfull enough for modern carriers. there's a reason no one uses those these days. but one thing comes in my mind: search what the new british/french carriers use, if I'm not wrong there are catobar designs of them and they have turbine/diesel powerplants.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Return to β€œBeginners Only” | Go to page « 1 … 13 14 15 16 17 18 »

Jump to: