Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 12:56 am
Cruel2BEkind wrote:
Then for the helicopter the part sheet on the main page is incorrect.
The part sheet may have just not been updated in a while. Like I said, it's not really a big deal since the actual aircraft drawing is correct. Just focus on working on your ship, which is definitely improving.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 6:57 am
On the area around the anti missile installation and the funnel, should that be a human walking area that needs to be railed? Or is the helipad the only spot that people could walk upon?

[Profile] [Quote]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 10:37 am
Same thing with the Silo's and main caliber gun

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 12:41 pm
If you're going for maximum stealth then you should have as little railing as possible. The French La Fayette and Singaporean Formidable classes of stealthy frigates have very little railing.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 8:35 pm
travestytrav25 wrote:
If you're going for maximum stealth then you should have as little railing as possible. The French La Fayette and Singaporean Formidable classes of stealthy frigates have very little railing.
take in mind that these have 'covered decks' and 'extended bulwarks' instead of railings. these take more mass and add additional parts without that much additional stealth. for maximum stealth, you need to take railing away as much as possible indeed. for making a ship actually work well (something french designs aren't always that good in) it is not an good idea.
see that the dutch and british stealthy designs actually have railings, while the the american zumwalt seems to have taken away the need for people on it's decks by other means.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 8:58 pm
Alright so it looks like i will go with no railings.
Now i just have to figure out my missile situation.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 9:06 pm
then you have to remodel your bow partially, as well as your structure. I advice just to add railings, completely stealth designs are IMO too hard for an newbe bucketeer (no offence, I see 4th year shipbuilding students struglle with the integration of stealth in their ideal ships :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 9:11 pm
I totally agree, Ace. The French and Singaporean ships have enclosed cable decks on their bows to hide anchors, anchor chains, and windlasses to reduce radar signature, and it also mean personnel don't have to go outside on the bow for anchoring or docking evolutions, so they don't need the railing on the bow. Eliminating railing may increase stealthiness by some marginal amount, but it'll make things more dangerous for any crew on deck during heavy seas. And as Ace says, it'll necessitate putting higher bulwarks up in certain areas, which obviously adds topweight. As with all things in warship design, adding or removing railing is a trade-off.

One thing you might consider adding is a bulwark around your VLS launchers on the bow. The British Type 45 and Singaporean Formidable class ships have these to decrease the radar signature coming off the VLS launcher hatches, and it might also have the added benefit of giving them a little bit of protection from heavy seas.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 9:15 pm
for most likely the same reason, the dutch LCF have their mk 41 recessed about 10 cm into the deck. this makes the VLS invisible from the side, by that removing a lot of corners and bends that would have been visible otherwise.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: Stealth Missile FrigatePosted: July 11th, 2012, 9:53 pm
So i wont need a high waist-chest height railing but what about a small knee length just enough that you can fall off the ship if you slip?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: