Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 6th, 2012, 8:37 pm
remember when i talked about a "standard"-sized battleship? i posted a "teaser" a couple of pages ago; since then i slowly (it's summer after all) worked on her until a point when i can call her half-completed.

[ img ]

Now a little background (wich might end up in a some sort of AU, i don't know yet):
Imagine a fictional archipelago situated about 2.500/3.000 km east of Japan in the middle of the Emperor Seamount Chain, a semi-indipendent nation called Koko (from Koko Guyout, a real seamount of the Emperor chain) with strong ties with Japan itself.
In this world WWII starts in 1940 and Japan do not attack Pearl Harbour untill december 1943, and went on to win the battle of midway in june 1944; finally in november 1944 IJN Kirishima backed up by KS (standing for Koko Senkan) Amagi and KS Owari managed to severly damage USS Washington and South Dakota, the latter was scuttled by her crew but ended up running aground on shallow waters before foundering; the Japanese wher not so interested about the battleship wreck but Koko's goverment ordered to repair the hull and tow away the tattered ship in order to examine her systems.
The battleship posted above, laid down in 1945, is the result of that examination.
(Just in case you want to know, the US' still ends up winning the war in August/September 1953)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 9th, 2012, 2:13 am
Looking good... I would like to see how you will do the props and shafts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 9th, 2012, 2:40 am
I like it. Good cross of Japanese and American styling.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 17th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Sagami completed.

[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on August 19th, 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 18th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Just finished reading the thread...I like all three ships! Fitting that the BB still in service in 2012 is Arizona! I also like Sagami...very nice lines!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 18th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Wow, the last one looks really good! Only thought is that a lot of the turrets seems very american. I got the impression that Koko was more closely aligned with the IJN?
Also, do you know what Sagami means(I don't know, I'm just wondering)?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 18th, 2012, 6:58 pm
KHT wrote:
Wow, the last one looks really good! Only thought is that a lot of the turrets seems very american. I got the impression that Koko was more closely aligned with the IJN?
Also, do you know what Sagami means(I don't know, I'm just wondering)?
Yes, the turrets looks quite american, that particular appearance is supposed to be the consequence of a reverse-engiinering on the wreck of USS South Dakota after the second naval battle of guadalcanal (14-15 november 1944 in the timeline i'm working on where WWII start in september 1940, and ends in august/september 1953 with Pearl Harbour beign attacked in december 1943).
Also Koko itself has indeed strong ties with Japan, (90% of her population is of Japanese origin as they where the first to colonize the archipelago before the Edo period) but i'ts not a completely free nation: it's something between a puppet state like Manchuko and a real indipendent country, and it's forced to follow the same foreign policies of the empire despite a quite strong opposition within her population and governement; this added to the controversial sinking of battleship Yashima in 1948 ad a subsequent coup d'etat will lead Koko to change faction around 1949, so design influences from US units will be not to uncommon.
This is obviously a loose and quick summary, i'm still not too sure to turn everything in some sort of AU, but anyway i still need to organize the background a bit more first.

About the meaning of the world Sagami, i don't know either unfortunately, i'm not really into japanese language despite beign an usual anime watcher; i have a friend who knows japanese very well tough, i will ask him if i remember.
Aniway, i've taken the name Sagami from the japanese province with the same name.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 18th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Ok, I didn't know it was a province name.
However, I would kind of advice against naming it after a province of a different country. While similar things has happened(The USN having had a destroyer named Winston Churchill is a shining example), I think it's a bit of abusing the goodwill of the nation of origin(of the name). If you want to change the name, I suggest looking a bit here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/furamain.htm#ijn. The ships here are Japanese, but several of them do not carry names specificaly related to Japan(Aratama = Violent Spirit, Kaminari = Rolling Thunder, and so on). Just a thought, though I can see if you don't want to change the name.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 18th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Combinedfleet.com! i really like that site, it's on my internet bookmarks since years, but still thank you for the link, i will probably use some of the names given in furashita's fleet.

About the province naming, i must say you could be right, but i always can try to find an explanation for it:
1-after the Meiji Restoration Japanese provinces where rearranged, renamed, merged and reorganized into prefectures, and despite beign never officialy disbanded they faded out of use and become obsolete (thats' the real part); let's say than that while regaining control over Koko the Japanese Empire created and renamed many prefectures after their disbanded provinces, so Koko's archipelago inherted some of that names.

2-other than foreign policies the Japanese Empire also controlled Koko's shipbuilding policies in the 20's and early 30's in order to cheat on the Washington Treaty (wich in this timeline was slowly beign disbanded after the 1927 Geneva conference, wich means more concessions instead of more restrictions), so many ships got Japanese names anyway.

After Sagami i will draw a longer version supposed to counter the US montanas and laid down in 1949 before the coup d'etat (and thus bombed on the slipway by americans first and japanese after, and thus never completed), her name would be Aki (another japanese province) or Haki (meaning "ambition")... just a letter can change everything :mrgreen:

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships by BB1987Posted: August 18th, 2012, 8:46 pm
Yeah, I figured you probably knew of it(who doesn't? ;) ), but it was easier providing a link. :)

I vote for Haki. And keep in mind that Japanese use sylables(or rather, moras, if we are to be really nit-picky), not singular letters.
I also advice using names on IRL cruisers and destroyers, as they weren't always connected to Japan itself, but rather had an eleborate meaning(Like Takao, loosely translating into "Great Hero").
Mythology is a good place to search as well.
And tell me about! Once I was going to say "library", which in Japanese is Toshôkan, but got a sylable wrong(don't remember how though), so it ended up meaning "meal of the day".

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: