Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 1:25 pm
The problem is that your history model doesn't work. If you don't know how the real workd works, there is no way that you can reconstruct history to such an extent that there are only 6 or so nations on earth.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 1:48 pm
I does not help when history is written by the victors so I only get one view on things.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 2:01 pm
APDAF wrote:
I does not help when history is written by the victors so I only get one view on things.
What ?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 2:06 pm
Rhade, Raxar, give it a rest. He's incurably beyond the reach of help. :o :shock: :roll: :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 2:33 pm
APDAF wrote:
You want help with history, and we've gotten to the third page without you posting even a timeline?

Also, I'm moving this thread to the beginner's forum.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 2:50 pm
APDAF wrote:
It would help if people helped me with the AU rather than tell me off for having a mild case of megalomania which no one can help me with.
Here, I'm not going to say that everyone else's advice is invalid out of rudeness, but I am going to say that this is going to be the most helpful advice you're going to get at this stage:

Quit sweating it. The AU details are ancillary to good drawings, and if you can come up with a good drawing nobody will care about what the details of the AU is. That's how I'm able to get away with having a large 12,000 ton guided missile destroyer launched out of South Africa. Just draw whatever you want and then justify it later.

One of these days I need to put together an AU guide, it looks like.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 30th, 2012, 3:36 pm
klagldsf
Of course, when the drawing is good, the background doesn't really matter.
Like here:

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =18&t=3125

I don't remember what is the AU rationale behind it (or if there is any at all), but now matter how outlandish it is or could be, this drawing meets at least two very important criteria:
1) although no country would actually build such ship in our, real world (because whatever it could do, smaller and cheaper ships and aviation could do equally well), the design in itself is (or at least very well pretend to be) completely workable.
1a) creator of this drawing (as is mentioned in that OP) actually listened to advice presented to him.
2) quality of the drawing is impeccable and attention to detail splendid.

And the APDAF's pictures are... well, we all seen them. And when anyone points to their flaws, he usually produces some explanation ammounting essentially to having if not laws of science themselves, then at least rules of engineering practicality bend themselves in the specific condition of his AU. So we're back to the point from which we began (and that is basically: asking for help with changing AU, but on the condition that nothing will change in it ;P ).

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 31st, 2012, 11:51 am
Well I just read this...
Quote:
What if the British lost the Boer War and the Orange Free State and Transvaal eventually merged into one state?"
That was a project I was gonna do :) No serieusly, I have learned Afrikaans to work on this. And I know quite some details from the Dutch side, we wanted to send Auxilairy Cruisers etc, long story, but I have to work it out, whish takes me quite some time, since this has to be my best AU.

[Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Help with Britannian AUPosted: July 31st, 2012, 2:19 pm
OOps, sorry ALVAMA, didn't know you were working on that.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: