Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Kattsun
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 10th, 2012, 6:55 pm
There are now six phased arrays on the superstructure. Hopefully this fixes any guidance issues. The pink line is also a redone bow, hopefully without me having to erase the front quarter of the ship or so to get a proper angle.
Thiel wrote:
There's also the minor issue that Typhon didn't work.
>50s-era Luneberg lens radar.
>Using 80s era computers, powerplant, and phased arrays.

I sincerely doubt the issue was with the missile RIM-50 as opposed to the SPG-59.

The Chinese people are not to be cowed by U.S. atomic blackmail. Our country has a population of 600 million and an area of 9.6 [million sq. km]. The United States cannot annihilate the Chinese nation with its small stack of atom bombs. Even if the U.S. atom bombs were so powerful that, when dropped on China, they would make a hole right through the earth, or even blow it up, that would hardly mean anything to the universe as a whole, though it might be a major event for the solar system.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 10th, 2012, 7:02 pm
Kattsun wrote:

I sincerely doubt the issue with the missile RIM-50 as opposed to the SPG-59.
Certainly, but how do you keep a program alive for thirty years while you wait for the technology to work?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kattsun
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 10th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Thiel wrote:
Kattsun wrote:

I sincerely doubt the issue with the missile RIM-50 as opposed to the SPG-59.
Certainly, but how do you keep a program alive for thirty years while you wait for the technology to work?
It helps that this isn't the USA, so whatever Typhonknockoff exists was probably started around the same time Aegis was started IRL. Maybe before that was a sort of duo where one had six-eight Terrier/Tartar twin arms, and the second ship had 6-8 illuminators and a search radar with a Luneberg Lens sorta like SPG-59? I don't know.

The Chinese people are not to be cowed by U.S. atomic blackmail. Our country has a population of 600 million and an area of 9.6 [million sq. km]. The United States cannot annihilate the Chinese nation with its small stack of atom bombs. Even if the U.S. atom bombs were so powerful that, when dropped on China, they would make a hole right through the earth, or even blow it up, that would hardly mean anything to the universe as a whole, though it might be a major event for the solar system.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 10th, 2012, 8:18 pm
you actually made it worse, but I see promise and some knowledge. I will come in with some ideas and advice soon.....

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 11th, 2012, 8:12 am
Might just be me, but I'm thinking you'd probably want some guns on there, besides just the CIWS, at least perhaps some 30mm, 40mm or 57mm ... maybe even 76mm. Something besides just pure missile armament anyhow.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 11th, 2012, 9:18 am
6 faces of AN/SPY-1(?) won't solve the problem since S Band is incapable of illuminating missiles. On the other hand, X Band/ Ku Band is able to do so.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 11th, 2012, 9:22 am
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
6 faces of AN/SPY-1(?) won't solve the problem since S Band is incapable of illuminating missiles. On the other hand, X Band/ Ku Band is able to do so.
I'm operating on the assumption that they are not actually SPY-1 Faces, and are in fact, stand ins for a C-band Phased array set.

That said, the geometry of they layout is off, and I hope to be able to get an example out later today.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kattsun
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 11th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Zephyr wrote:
Might just be me, but I'm thinking you'd probably want some guns on there, besides just the CIWS, at least perhaps some 30mm, 40mm or 57mm ... maybe even 76mm. Something besides just pure missile armament anyhow.
I can put a Fast Forty on it instead of a Phalanx.

It can perform shore bombardment with its missiles if it really has to.
Then it will be C-Band PA like KRONOS 3D since I already have three illuminators that can timeshare between the six launchers.

And I think self-illuminating phased arrays like SPY-3 remove the elan of mechanical illuminators.
TimothyC wrote:
I'm operating on the assumption that they are not actually SPY-1 Faces, and are in fact, stand ins for a C-band Phased array set.

That said, the geometry of they layout is off, and I hope to be able to get an example out later today.
Thank you this would be very helpful.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 11th, 2012, 7:51 pm
Here is something that I hope helps:

[ img ]

Obviously if the arrays are tilted from the vertical you have to take that into account as well. More might be coming later.

You might note that the faces on the aft end of the arrays that are facing perpendicular to the viewer (ie that we only see edge-on) are rendered as facing aft when strictly speaking the might be rendered as directly facing the viewer. This is because they are in the shadow of the main structure from the imaginary light source that is located forward and above the ship. It should also be easy to see (I hope) how the rendering would change if the faces were flush with the surface (such as can be seen on the current rendition of DG/PATRIOT).

Note, this is to show relative proportions that have been calculated using some basic trigonometry, and are to be used as a guide, not a standard part. Also note that most phased arrays are not vertical, and are canted back at some angle, and as I note, this must be accounted for, but I hope this helps people get a grasp on how they are supposed to look.

As for personal preference, if you have two masts, and a 6 face system, I like to place the direct fore and aft faces on the fore and aft masts respectively while then placing non-adjacent faces on the masts (the forward mast has the direct forward face and the faces that look to the port and starboard stern while the aft mast looks directly aft and and forward to port and starboard off of the bow). If the faces have a track angle of at least 120° this set up provides 360° coverage in the even that one of the masts is non-operational.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: AAW Cruiser v:Posted: September 11th, 2012, 11:47 pm
TimothyC wrote:
And yes, targeting a surface ship that is in radar range would have been possible and a standard mission profile.
What's really fun is if you have nuke-tipped Talos. It's my understanding it's a big reason why they developed nuke Talos in the first place.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: