Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 30th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Very cute ship. I like the super-edition. :mrgreen:
To tell the truth, I think it's time to punt this thread up to the adult forum. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: October 1st, 2012, 7:16 am
Splendid work!

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: October 1st, 2012, 9:53 am
Thanks to all!
But i'm not totally satisfied with the forecastle of the "super" version.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: November 6th, 2012, 4:59 pm
As i wasn't "totally satisfied with the forecastle of the "super" version", i've updated it.
I wanted to show some influence from the latest under construction addition to the russian black sea fleet: the Andrei Pervozvanny class battleship.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: November 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Cool. :) You can really see the russian influence.

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: November 9th, 2012, 8:24 pm
thanks!
I'm quite satified with it now.
i hope i can resist bringing it to life in my AU........................ :)

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
t72ural
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: January 15th, 2013, 4:41 am
I was unaware that the Ottomans were trying to build their own battleships (as opposed to buying them from foreign yards), but I guess you learn something new every day. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
jpiccone
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: January 11th, 2015, 3:57 am
I realize it's late to chime in, but that photo isn't a model of Abdul Kadir - it's a proposal from Armstrongs for an armored cruiser more or less identical to the IJN Azumo. It drove me crazy trying to figure that out a few years back - the turrets are too small for 11.1" and the visible one is situated too far back compared to the drawing. So I gave up and went to the Istanbul Maritime Museum. It's a beautiful model, and at the time you really had to know what you were looking for because it was stuffed in a room without any identifying signage. But there is the original place on the base of the model that gives the basic specs. 9,800 tons, 2x2 8" 14x1 6", etc.

If you look carefully, that's a two-story casemate with equal sized guns in it.

So your alterations are probably fairly accurate - those turrets are what we'd expect them to look like. It's a beautiful drawing, BTW - the only thing that doesn't look right is the portholes between the 150mm on the gun deck - it's an armored battery. And the guns above are behind a bulwark, so there shouldn't be any openings in that, either. Small points - really great work.

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: January 11th, 2015, 10:12 am
Thanks for your comments and informations.
I was also turning mad as j was unable to find any other picture of this model, and i really considered to go on a trip to istambul to visit the museum (without telling my wife the real reason...........).

For the rest i would say yes,but:

Yes this topic is 2 years old!
But as my skill have a bit improved since then (at least i hope......), and i'm working on alternate history of the ottoman/turkish navy, i've planned to redraw these drawings to integrate it. So your comments are welcome to improve it.

Yes it looks more like a japanese (british built) armored cruiser.
But you mention the Azumo (?):
- The AzamA is french built,
- The Izumo is from Armstrong but had three funnels,
I think the ship is the Asama, with two funnels.

This last conclusion is just perfect: as this ship was yet done (and in a very good way) by weisman, i will only have to repeint it to integrate it in the my futur topic.

Thank again for your comments.
I'm glad to see that this topic is still interesting for people two years after it's over.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: January 11th, 2015, 10:09 pm
Hello again!

As I am currently working on some ideas for AU Ottoman ships, I've also tried to dig up whatever can be found about Abdul Kadir. According to Conway's, her original design resembled a smaller Hoche (or, but that's my guess, a bigger Capitan Prat) with four 279mm guns in single mounts. Wikipedia claims she had twin barbettes, but quote Conway's as a reference, obviously erroneously. She was abandoned after a few years on stocks, but - and that is where the Istanbul model comes in - there seems to have been a redesign in an effort to finish her some time between 1900 and 1904; her main armament was reduced to four 203mm guns (again according to Conway's), probably to reduce cost and increase protection. I'm not sure how educated Conway's guess about the redesign was, they might have confused the armoured cruiser proposal with the battleship, as age and displacent are quite similar; I also don't know what text accompanied the the line drawing from Flottes de Combat and how much additional information they had.

Thus, if I had to draw her, she'd probably resemble the Capitan Prat with a longer forecastle and open barbettes instead of turrets. But lacking further information, that's wholly speculative - and besides, it would be a pity since Waritems drawings look just lovely.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: