Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
waritem
Post subject: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 8:00 am
According to wikipedia:
"Abdul Kadir was an Ottoman pre-dreadnought battleship laid down in 1892 at the Constantinople dockyard. After she was framed with armor near the turn of the 20th century, very little work was done to her other than to plate in the area near the keel before work ceased. When work was scheduled to resume in full force in 1904, the keel blocks had shifted and rendered her a total loss. She was scrapped in the slipway in 1914, near the start of World War I. She was to have a main armament of four 283-millimeter (11 in) guns, mounted in barbettes protected by 6 inches (152 mm) of armor."
And according to springsharp:
"In 1904, he planned his equipment in the 4x254 and 10x150" (quick translation from polish)

SO!
Here are the 2 references pictures i've found on the web.
[ img ]
[ img ]

The first one is a plan and side view of the Turkish battleship Abdul Kadir from the 1904 issue of Flottes de Combat (probably drawn early in that year).
Second one is supposed to be a picture of the ship model in the galatasaray navy museum. It looks very russian to me..........
It may refer to how the project were suppossed to be finished in 1904 (4x254 and 10x150), so this would explain why the main turrets looks like the one of the russian Rostislav who add the same main gun caliber.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 8:05 am
From this material i've did first a simple "shipbucket translation" of the fisrt one (with russian style main turrets).

[ img ]

I used it as a base for a personnal vision of how it was planned to be finished when launched.
[ img ]

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 8:12 am
Nice, but I'd cut down on the shading, especially on the funnels.
Also, the turrets looks too large compared to the source drawing, though that might just be an illusion.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 8:30 am
It's indeed very nice! Good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 8:50 am
While we're at it, the flag could do with a touch of shade. As it is it looks somewhat out of place.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 9:00 am
I've checked some "flotte de combat" sourced drawings refering to effectively built ship,and it seems that the general architecture and shape of the ship, and the guns position is correct, but the proportion and size of the parts are some times disproportionated (gun much more longer......turrets to small) that's why i've upsized the turrets in a more realistic way (to me).
That's for the turrets.

i will check the shadding and flag.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

Last edited by waritem on September 20th, 2012, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 9:02 am
Indeed a impressive work waritem.

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 9:36 am
According to Thiel comment here is an updated version:

[ img ]

To go fast (and has i am a great slacker) i've simply borowed weisman turkish flag..................

j'm planning to do a AU version of the way it would have been commissionned around 1906, and maybe an improved sister-ship................

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 9:38 am
don't you think it miss some shadding on prow and bow?

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ottoman battleship Abdul KadirPosted: September 20th, 2012, 9:48 am
Not really. The line on the bow could do with some smoothing out though.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: