Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 10  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
prairie canuck
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 12:24 am
The concept is to have a single Hull design which can be outfitted with what you want it to do. The project Office still talks of 15 vessels so in essence replacing what Canada now has; 3 destroyers and then 12 Frigates. Obviously the first combatants to be replaced will be the AAW. The difference is these will not all be built over a short period, they will (my guess) come on line once every year or year and a half. The also mention vessels in the 6000t range so they would be larger than the present ships. See page 3 for a good general overview of the history and direction of the project. http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms_images ... 07%20e.pdf

My take is the concept is to build-in the ability to change the radar, com, and weapons when newer technology is available. An example might be: the 76OTO being replaced by a rail gun or the diesel/electric engines replaced with a fuel cell based propulsion. How far can we advance in 15 yrs, 20yrs, and so on. We've seen the hulls ability to last 40 yrs but it seems the technology changes almost annually.

My inspiration through-out this process is to try and come up with the most capable ship and then pair down it's abilities and add others, such as an ASW ability.

Many thanks for the ideas and guidance as I continue to "tweek".

[Profile] [Quote]
prairie canuck
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 5:22 am
One quick question; I've been working on a drawing of HMCS Preserver, do I post it in this thread or somewhere else?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 3:26 pm
prairie canuck wrote:
One quick question; I've been working on a drawing of HMCS Preserver, do I post it in this thread or somewhere else?
Newer kind of ships, newer class of ship....newer topic....
Open a new topic

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 4:09 pm
Since Preserver is a real ship you might even want to venture out and post it in the Real Designs forum

[Profile] [Quote]
prairie canuck
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 25th, 2010, 12:52 am
Funnels are no longer staggered, replaced the rails, touched up the bridge area
Attachment:
Iroquois 2016 3.5.PNG

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 25th, 2010, 7:53 am
you still need to place the newest smart-l on your hangar, the apar is ok now. the railing is still wrong, I meant that you should avoid the railing on the bow in general. also, the liferaft placement is still odd, and the final thing: an warship has almost no windows on the structure, in fact none except the ones needed for combat (bridge, sometimes CIC and heli control)

other then that, it is looking rather good ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:09 am
You are using (for railings) the helicopter barriers from the parts sheet.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:55 am
I made some refinements. it still needs some additions, but I think this one will be more like an real ship..... feel free to use what you like of it, colombimike, feel free to comment on it like you did on the previous WIP's...... I have tried to keep as close to the original drawing as possible, whit a few additions and refinements.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 25th, 2010, 11:46 am
I like this drawing, well done Ace (oops sorry P.C.) ; and though its been a slow process I reckon you've arrived at something that looks essentially right; and IMHO, a ship that looks right usually is.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 25th, 2010, 5:30 pm
deleted

Last edited by Colombamike on March 30th, 2011, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 10  [ 94 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »

Jump to: