Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Zeck180
Post subject: Altred ships and hand drawnPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 3:18 am
So I've actually been reading through SBs forums for at lest 2-3 months now, the difference this time I've finally created an account. So many very amazing designs from real ships and ones own creation, so for the same time frame or so 1.5 months i've been working on four ships, the templates I used from designs that more experienced and well known users had created on here so I could learn and create from more professional designs (drawings)

This one I merely stripped it down to the base expect I kept some areas so it would look as if some one with real talent had created it(which some one did). From this I learned from looking at other designs on here and tried to duplicate them. As you can see it is the exact same ship, but considerably remodeled. I also made it about 20 meters longer, keep many of the original parts funnels, lifeboats, masts, propellers. However though the funnels I downsized I think about 15-20%. Added two new decks one on top and one near the bottom, and the stern well that is where I went more experimental.

[ img ]
Novice wrote:
[ img ]

Last edited by Zeck180 on May 18th, 2013, 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Altered ships based from real designs from SB.Posted: May 3rd, 2013, 3:27 am
Welcome aboard. It looks like your image host resized the image on you. I'd also like to politely remind you that the credit has to be retained as noted in Item 6 of the standards guide

As for the ship itself, I'd slide the entire superstructure forward about 10 meters because right now she looks stern heavy.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Altered ships based from real designs from SB.Posted: May 3rd, 2013, 3:19 pm
Welcome aboard. While I wholeheartedly support Timothy's first part of his remark, I don't quite so the second: the positioning of your superstructure is, in fact, just fine. No need, unless you want to, to reshuffle it. That configuration, however, gives me the idea that you may want to give your ship Diesel engines. Your ship is of about the same period as the world's first motorship, the Danish M/S Selandia, of 1912. Find sources for her, and make your ship similar! You still can fit two (or more) funnels, though only one may be workable. "Faux" funnels were used quite widely, in fact, and used for everything from storage to housing generators; the RMS Titanic and her two sisters had one! You may slim your funnel and lower it ( them) if you want to convey the true propulsion system, or you can keep them at that height for aesthetic reasons. I'd trim them down though, just for appearance sake.

My Avatar:ะŸะตั‚ั€ ะะปะตะบัะตะตะฒะธั‡ ะ‘ะตะทะพะฑั€ะฐะทะพะฒ (Petr Alekseevich Bezobrazov), ะ’ะธั†ะต-ะฐะดะผะธั€ะฐะป , ั†ะฐั€ัะบะฐั ะ’ะœะค ะ ะพััะธะธ(1845-1906) - I sign my drawings as Ari Saarinen

[Profile] [Quote]
Zeck180
Post subject: Re: Altered ships based from real designs from SB.Posted: May 3rd, 2013, 9:18 pm
TimothyC wrote:
itself, I'd slide the entire superstructure forward about 10 meters because right now she looks stern heavy.
I also though the very same thing seeing as the bow still looks as if it's still partially cargo instead of the newer model of full passenger.

First off I'd like to clarify this is my first from scratch boat.

[ img ]

i'm not sure obviously but I doubt there are many riverboats on here, well here is the Chautauqua Belle she is 98 ft (29 m) long and 22 ft wide(not including mast). She was built between 1974 and 1976 and was launched in 1976 as part of Chautauqua County's(New York) celebration of the United States Bicentennial. She is only one of five authentic operational steamboats left in North America.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Altered ships based from real designs from SB.Posted: May 4th, 2013, 7:29 am
It should be placed on standard template, the paddle wheel should be rather more symmetrical (widht to height) and middle deck and boiler (or whatever it is on the base of smokestack) lacks contour, but it's a nice start and commendable effort to draw a ship of a type that indeed rarely appears here on SB.
:)

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Altered ships based from real designs from SB.Posted: May 4th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Nice start. However, you're missing a few black outlines around the red section that connects to the paddlewheel, and the blue upper deck, which should be 3px. thick, and the boiler :?: at the bottom of the smoke stack. The railings on the upper deck should have the same spacing as the lower ones. Also, there's a lot of jpeg-like pixel trash on nearly every solid colored area.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Zeck180
Post subject: Re: Altered ships based from real designs from SB.Posted: May 15th, 2013, 10:35 pm
What I had noticed only after I had finished is that I made her 10 meters too short, thanks for the tips/suggestions. She'll be the first of many that i'm attempting starting from smallest to largest.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zeck180
Post subject: Re: Altred ships and hand drawnPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:16 pm
[ img ]

My first large scale from scratch ship, still in the works, this is for my AU thread the flag ship of a company and the largest of her sisters. Wondering how it looks thus far what what should be improved, other than the name which is very large.

My own opinion I think I might be using to large of lifeboats, the funnels look ok (to me) as you can see one is a false funnel made into a shop or restaurant like Disney's. My uh stern especially below the waterline is need of help.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Altred ships and hand drawnPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:32 pm
My first question is this - what is she? Is she a small ocean liner? A small cruise ship? A small ferry? What sort of route does she run?

If I were going by size only, I'd look at the Norwegian cruise ferries such as MS Trollfjord. That should also give you an idea for what the stern should start to look like.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Altred ships and hand drawnPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:40 pm
TimothyC wrote:
If I were going by size only, I'd look at the Norwegian cruise ferries such as MS Trollfjord. That should also give you an idea for what the stern should start to look like.

ah one of my old drawings!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to โ€œBeginners Onlyโ€ | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: