Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 5:07 pm
CraigH wrote:
Thiel,

Explain what you've just done, I want to learn!

Craig
take a random color in paint, and just click any where on the drawing with it. not you need to click the bucket first...

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 6:57 pm
As explained above, using the "bucket", or "fill" tool of MS-Paint with any color (apart from black or white, for obvious reasons), you paint the whole painting, Thiel here used red. Where ever wasn't painted means it isn't the same color as the surrounding area. Those small pixels are sometime referred to as artifacts.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 7:50 pm
Mental note to self: Don't use graded fills from now on OR, toggle fewer colors to fill.

The mess is primarily due to the way I did graded shading on the original artwork. I went for a fairly high number of color steps, incrementally shifting from dark to light sail and hull colors.

What didn't show up on the artwork when I examined it was a lot of the errors in the white areas. I'm wondering if that's a Photobucket generated artifact?

Could someone independently take a look at this image and see if the clutter persists. Tried a general cleanup. I've also run it through Corel to save as a Giff so an independant size check would be appreciated (1000x 385).

For some reason Paint was doing horrid things to the artwork when saving as...

[ img ]

Craig

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 7:55 pm
What file format do you save it as.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 8:00 pm
this last one looks ok to me.... :P

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Double Checking it, and it looks good - I didn't notice any artifcating at all.

As a (very) minor aside Blue text, and specifically bolded blue text is used by the adminstrators (Golly) for when we are speaking as administrators. Bolded green text is used for moderation messages (excluding lists where multiple colors are used to identify items in a list).

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 9:42 pm
Timothy,
Oops. I'll not use blue again and it's not a minor aside. Old habit I'll have to break for when I need something contrasty for questions.

Thiel,
Corel: the native .cdr.
Paint: the native .PNG

I ran into a weird transformation, a half-toning with all sorts of spurious colors added when I saved as a .gif in Paint. Very upsetting, caused vertigo, and a general WTF response.

Ended up opening the .PNG in Corel and exported as a .gif from there with success it appears...that's why I was asking for the size and visual double check....I like having a "Plan B".

Also, Photobucket looks to have renamed the image (added text-in contrasty color). Is this an issue?
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... CSSAlabama_zps130866aa.gif

I'll sit back for a bit and see if anyone has any reasons why the drawing isn't ready for submital.

Off to do chores and maybe watch Americas Cup. Need to see New Zealand's near wipe out from yesterday and wish I was out on the Bay right now. Those AC72's are amazing machines to see up close, especially when they're blasting past you at highway speeds. There's absolutely no reason on this planet that a wind powered 72' cat should be able to go that fast.

The gods help the dumbass parasailer who gets in the way. He'd be chum.

Craig

BTW, That little avatar image I've got, obviously not me but...I've had that happen to me off Bodega Point, it's where Alfred Hitchcock filmed "The Birds" a bit north of San Francisco.

Story: Great White, about the length of my kayak (14') was using me for cover while it was stocking the sea lion I was checking out. I had no idea it was there till it sideswiped me on the way in and about 30 feet ahead that seal basically exploded. Looking at my paddling buddy, "Um...maybe we ought to head to that beach over there. What do you think?"

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

Last edited by CraigH on September 15th, 2013, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 9:46 pm
Very good drawing! I couldn't find any stray pixels in the background, though there are a few red ones on the mainsail, maintopsail, and maintopgallant, other than that, it looks great! :)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 15th, 2013, 11:27 pm
CraigH wrote:
Timothy,
Oops. I'll not use blue again and it's not a minor aside. Old habit I'll have to break for when I need something contrasty for questions.

Thiel,
Corel: the native .cdr.
Paint: the native .PNG

I ran into a weird transformation, a half-toning with all sorts of spurious colors added when I saved as a .gif in Paint. Very upsetting, caused vertigo, and a general WTF response.

Ended up opening the .PNG in Corel and exported as a .gif from there with success it appears...that's why I was asking for the size and visual double check....I like having a "Plan B".
Yeah, MSPaint's native GIF implementation is screwy if you are not using it's default pallet. Technically the GIF implementation takes an 8bit subset of the full 24bit pallet for every sub-block of the image and few images have more than one sub-block, but the problem is some programs have a default pallet and use that for rendering GIFs. MSPaint is one of many offenders at this. Personally, I take what is submitted for the upload session (You will note a series of threads here for uploads) and then I convert them to PNG (optimizing as I go).
CraigH wrote:
Also, Photobucket looks to have renamed the image (added text-in contrasty color). Is this an issue?
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... CSSAlabama_zps130866aa.gif

I'll sit back for a bit and see if anyone has any reasons why the drawing isn't ready for submital.
It's ready to be submitted from what I can see, and the name issue isn't a big one for me - I end up making a lot of rename tweaks when I do the uploads.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm
(Seems that was one of the shortest learning curves in a while).
This looks good and ready Craig

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: