Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
CraigH
Post subject: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 15th, 2013, 10:55 pm
A few months ago when I first started looking at Shipbucket drawing as a time-burning distraction I'd just been out on The Bay watching Oracle practicing with their new toy....so, my second entry to this site.

[ img ]

Yes, they are now the defending underdog instead of the cocky bunch of sailors they were. New Zealand has been kicking everybody's butt. They are from my perspective the local team as I've sailed and drank with a couple of them over the years.

Intro:
The AC 72's are a spanking new design specifically for the 2013 Americas Cup Challenge that was never intended to foil. Already known as about as high tech as one can get Team New Zealand first retrofitted theirs with hydrofoil wings to the daggers and rudders to gain a bit of an edge over the competition for these races. Holly shi.....now we've got the baddest highest tech sailing monsters ever created.

To get some idea of the speed these things do just get in your car and drive at 50 mph (just under 88kpm). That's the fastest they've gone...so far. Wipe one of these out and somebody dies. When the winds sustain something like 25 knots for more than a few minutes they cancel the day's race...for safety reasons.

The good and the bad about the races is that they are more like drag races. First team around the mark and on a downwind leg builds such a lead the race is basically over. The following team can only hope for a mechanical failure or a major mistake by the leader.

Suggestions for shipbucketing the drawing are quite appreciated.

Is it legal or would it help to do a top and front view?

Craig

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 16th, 2013, 12:08 am
I do from time to time top view of ships. but only when I am bored!

But when we draw aircraft carriers we do almost every time draw top view.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 16th, 2013, 3:57 am
The first step would be to remove gradients and apply SB shading. For something this size, that's pretty much all that needs to be done, though I'd replace the white on the sail with off-white, so it stands out from the background better. :)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 17th, 2013, 5:37 am
[ img ]

Elimination of graded shading and reworking sails to reflect patterning from this weekend's Americas Cup Match Races.

I may be able to do some white patterning for the "Puma" brand logo on the wing. The hull number within a circle on the hull....probably not. Tried reducing that from my original drawing (right around FD Scale) and ended up with mud. Ditto on the rest of the hull sponsor logos and text. I'm also a bit leery of doing them at all, trademark and copyright stuff...but that's a secondary concern after the problem of pixelated mud.

Better add a source and crediting note:
Francois Chevalier did some images last year, lovely stuff that gave me the basic shape for the hulls and sails of this drawing.
http://chevaliertaglang.blogspot.com/
Note that details have change on the boats as illustrated as they are now being raced...reflecting in my work.
Some of the details are from my own images/observation taken at the venue, and some from what I've found on-line.

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 17th, 2013, 6:50 am
what might help, my own take on an racing sail yacht, in this case an VO70. might help you with the details and all....
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =12&t=3083

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 28th, 2013, 1:31 pm
[ img ]
Acelanceloet, Thanks for the suggestion.

Added some sponsorship logos...at least pixels to suggest the text as it's all far to fine to be readable at this scale.

I think I've taken this one as far as it can go without adding other views.

I honestly didn't expect Oracle to come back and win the Cup this year, New Zealand was simply kicking butt and on a winning roll. It was a hell of a series having the races in a location where people could watch it from shore. That's something I'd been waiting for since I saw my first down in San Diego in the early 90's.

Nice thing, I was able to get down to watch about 6 races, 4 from shore, 2 on the water.

Craig

Some railroad stuff

Last edited by CraigH on September 28th, 2013, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 28th, 2013, 10:08 pm
You should put that it won the cup in the discription area. It's a good draw too. :)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 28th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Raxar, Thanks!

Edited the last image above to include your suggested text.

Anyone with any complaints? I'd like to wrap up and submit.

Craig

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 30th, 2013, 7:51 am
Well obvious, pink borderline.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: AC72 Team Oracle- Americas Cup 2013Posted: September 30th, 2013, 8:09 pm
I'maDummy! Fixing that tonight.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: