Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 23rd, 2013, 7:03 pm
I would add that I see much progress, and yet, the double yellow line is still there, and IMHO should not be there (unless you have photographic evidence to the contrary).
As for the underwater hull, it isn't customary to have the lines representing plating. Also the hull also needs shading

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 23rd, 2013, 9:58 pm
Looking good to me mate. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 23rd, 2013, 10:19 pm
Is the hull chined? I would think that ought to be an exception to the "not showing plating" rule, as it shows an angled break in the hull form.
BTW, there's still a few stray pixels around the bridge area.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 24th, 2013, 5:20 am
I'll be quick, have an early start tomorrow:
Raxar:
1) Found the stray Pixels, fixed.
2) The Eppie Hall is not chined. That was an attempt to help define the hull shape by the overlapped plating shadow lines. It can be removed as I now know that it's not Shipbucket standard.

Novice:
3) The double yellow lines...the lower one on the rub rail at deck level shows in photos (historic and modern). The decorative stuff shows on the Library of Congress Restoration Docs. It appears to have been in place during the cruise across the Atlantic in 1970 (or so)...somewhere I think I also saw an image where it was carved into the sides (wood forward of the paddle wheels housings). And it appears that it (or similar design work) was in place in 1914 during the shakedown cruise.
http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/eppletonhall1914.html

Lazer_one, acelanceloet, eswube:

I had a go at outlining and graying in the paddle wheels. No joy! They appeared far to heavy AND, buried the actual paddles under pixels. There's simply no room so I'll keep the simple black 1 pixel linework as is, the weight is about right...

The real paddles almost look like they'll fold if they hit a log. My fuzzy memory thinks the iron is about 6" wide x 1/2"-3/4" thick. The blades are wood, and the "hinge" hardware was all iron castings. I'd like to take the kayak out and take a look...it's been a long time.

Lazer_one:
Working on the hull. Waterline is now black. Working on defining the hull shape with Shipbucket style shading..actually two shades of a green darker than the basic hull green.

Thanks all!

I'm definitely not a "SB Master", my drafting world is all vector based stuff. I'm sort of returning to maritime after taking a break for a few years to do other things.
Craig

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 24th, 2013, 7:33 am
Thank you Craig for clarifying. I was looking at your last link, and that made it clear. I really don't know how to help you with the paddle wheels. Seems to me that in the end, it's a matter of style inside the Shipbucket style rule. All surfaces that bear a man's weight should be 3 pixels at least.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 24th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Ok, if You tried and say it would look too thick, then I trust Your judgement. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 25th, 2013, 1:46 am
[ img ]

OK,
A few more tweaks. A sample bow without the dandy funk, It's viable and in scatted historic images over the life of the tug, and definitely much cleaner. Even the lower line comes and goes, can also be pretty much any light color...by 1914 there were films with predictable broad light wavelength sensitivities.

Sorry...I have to deal with color interp for 1800's era railroad stuff and that's a nightmare. Imagine 2 images of the same car, different types of film or plate chemistry. One car comes out dark, the other light. Historians get to bicker over color for the next 4 generations as a result. I love it when we get a actual paint chips or entire paint x-sections and get to shove it in people's faces.

I'm going to get my butt chewed for "graded shading" on the lower hull. In my defense, this was done in MS Paint. It just doesn't have the extreme steps in color that's typical of accepted drawings in the Real Ships section. It is composed of hull color and two somewhat darker shades created in the "Edit Colors" pull down tab. IF I absolutely have to, I can change it.

Could somebody please post a link to THE STANDARD that spells out under hull shading...please?

Novice: I had another go at outlining the paddle wheel. I can't bring myself to go with the thick version as it wrecks the whole effect, it's horribly out of scale, etc. Apologies. Please keep nit picking my work.

There's now some davits behind the paddle wheel housings. May or may not add a small boat...but will try. I suspect it'll hide too much work.

Maybe I should try a big 20th Century ship with big structures. These little boats don't provide much leeway to move around in. Tiny details are easy to turn into mud.

Craig

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 25th, 2013, 6:34 am
I made an experiment on the paddle wheel.
Moreover I changed a little its cover beacuse it seems, somehow, not symmetrical or not centered with the paddle...
Take it as just as a personal suggestion and use it only if you really like it.

[ img ]

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 25th, 2013, 1:23 pm
Laser_One,
This is the drawing I started with. Maybe my glasses (tri-focals these days) are distorting what I see, but there seemed to be some asymmetry.
http://www.searlecanada.org/sunderland/ ... nhall6.jpg

Quite honestly, the non-centered housing was driving me nuts too and I like what you've done. I'll incorporate some of what you've done into the drawing (adding you in the credits).

The paddles themselves are of interest. There's feathering incorporated into the design. The nod I did to it was the weird pixelated shapes...the ones you cleaned up...an understandable oops. I had a go at the rods controlling the articulation but at Shipbucket scale they became a mess. I suppose FD Scale would be more appropriate to show the detail.

Take a look at this article regarding paddle design:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=5zIOAAA ... ds&f=false

Scroll down to page 154, Fig.14.

It's gratifying to see someone taking the time to really pick apart a drawing! Thanks!

Craig

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Eppie HallPosted: September 25th, 2013, 3:23 pm
CraigH wrote:
Laser_One,
I'll incorporate some of what you've done into the drawing (adding you in the credits).
don't worry! there are only few pixels...

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: