Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 40 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page « 137 38 39 40 41 »
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 13th, 2015, 7:16 pm
Hi LordBladaime,

I suspect you'll have structural issues with this ship - bear in mind that I'm not an expert, but I think your ratio of length to draught is too low - you've not put a waterline on, so it can't tell the precise draught, but even assuming that the weather deck is the draught, you have a length of 3597px and a maximum draught of 140px, giving you a length-draught ratio of 25.6 (I used LOA for length but even using WL (again, without a marked waterline calculating the waterline length becomes difficult) the numbers will come out fairly similar).

By way of comparison, the Seawise Giant, the biggest ship constructed, had a length-draught ratio of 18.6, the Bismarck, 26.98, the Yamato, 25.2, Iowa's length-draught ratio of 24 - bear in mind that this seems comparable but I had to assume that essentially the entire hull was underwater to get those numbers. I suspect in reality (well, not reality, but I hope you understand what I mean) the flexing hull would be breaking welds open and leaking.

Also, the bow angle looks quite extreme, can you advise why the bow is quite so pointy?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 30th, 2015, 11:21 pm
Think this drawing has fallen victim to what I like to call Long-Scroll Syndrome, where one part does not line up with another, the bow looks like the waterline view as stern is the full hull, while yes the bow does look rather raked, it should be of an adequate free board, the stern needs to be doubled in depth to ensure the front and back are aligned

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 9:38 pm
While it's a... decent start, it makes it much harder if you just start throwing lines down. It makes it easier if you use a color like red (it sticks out and it's a good tracing color as well), and make boxes, one for the freeboard, one for the draught, with a waterline going the full length of the ship. Then you figure out the shape of the bow and the angle of the forecastle (which should be a gradual curved sloping. Might I recommend starting at 8px or so at the top and then adding 2 pixels every 2nd line, until you meet back with the top of the hull. That usually gives a good result for me). Same with the stern, just experiment with it and compare it to other ships that you like. Then you just move forward from there. Literally, you start from the ground up. Then your turrets go in (it also helps if you refrain from detailing them until you start detailing the rest of the ship) and your first couple of deck levels. The best way to go about this is to compare to other ships you like and take features that you like from them and then merge it into your brobdingnagian monstrosity.

Oh, and BTW, this took me three weeks. I believe you can get the bones of this ship done in that time. You just need to do it and stick with it.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: May 30th, 2015, 3:44 pm
Do you want to see my Km Fuhrer update?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: May 30th, 2015, 4:43 pm
Don't ask, just post it.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: May 30th, 2015, 6:16 pm
OK here it is

https://imageshack.com/i/p9Wy1Nmoj

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: May 30th, 2015, 8:25 pm
Hi LordBladaime,

If possible, I'd save this as .png rather than .jpg, as it'll result in less smudging of the image.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: June 1st, 2015, 7:37 pm
Several things:

1st, there are 5 calibers on the ship, not including your AA guns. That's just a big no-no. When I designed Mammut, I was only at 4 calibers total: 30", 16", 5" and 40mm AA guns. 4 calibers is all you need.
2nd, as ApdSmith stated, it's a .jpg. That's also a big no-no.
3rd, what's that crane for at the stern?
4th, it looks as if you have a main belt, a bow belt, but no stern belt.
5th, it's a massive battleship with plenty of room. I made Mammut into an aircraft carrier and added some boat facilities at the stern. ApdSmith added rockets, a Freya radar system, and IIRC aircraft facilities. Lazer_one had missiles, aircraft, an airship mooring tower, a stern boat facility, and a Nazi UFO. Certainly you can come up with something to give it some razzle-dazzle!

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: June 1st, 2015, 10:43 pm
that is the thing, I need help with this ship! i have been working on this ship for 4 years and i have been doing it alone Lazer_one had help that i dont have so can someone help me please? i want to finish this ship i know it can be done i just cant do it alone.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: June 1st, 2015, 10:54 pm
Perhaps you shouldn't have chosen something so ludicrously monumental to start with?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 40 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 137 38 39 40 41 »

Jump to: