Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 11th, 2014, 8:01 am
Not finished, but before I get too far in, I'd appreciate feedback for correction. Orca-class Patrol Craft, Training, based out of CFB Esquimalt. Thanks to Giant Killer for what seems to me to be the best approximation of the horrid colour we insist on painting our ships :)

(link to early WIP removed)

In progress: ASL-20 HMCS Cormorant

May try next: HMCS Oriole, STV Goldcrest, Bluenose II

Last edited by Jacky Tar on February 13th, 2014, 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 11th, 2014, 9:09 am
I suggest putting more details such as railings and life rafts. Anyways, looks like a nice start!

[Profile] [Quote]
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 13th, 2014, 4:31 am
Okay, I think this is done. Comments/critique/feedback, please?

[ img ]

(class data redacted from WIP post; moved to most recent post)

Last edited by Jacky Tar on February 13th, 2014, 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 13th, 2014, 4:34 am
Very well done!

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 13th, 2014, 5:51 am
Lovely first drawing Jacky Tar, just few things to add (using http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... HMCS55.jpg for reference)

I'd look at changing the port holes to 4x4 pixels, as they don't seem to be much larger than the ones on the door (certainly less than 6")

There is a change of angle on the bulwarks at the bow, up the top, would only be a pixel wide.

Jackstaff and Ensign Staff are absent as few features like lights/lamps, fire-hoses and other small bits and pieces especially around the center

Something I'd like to recommend as it does add a bit to any drawing, for those lines in the hull instead of just one darker line, try a lighter line with one underneath, that should help emphasize the shape of the lines

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 13th, 2014, 8:24 am
Rodondo wrote:
Lovely first drawing Jacky Tar, just few things to add (using http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... HMCS55.jpg for reference)

I'd look at changing the port holes to 4x4 pixels, as they don't seem to be much larger than the ones on the door (certainly less than 6")

There is a change of angle on the bulwarks at the bow, up the top, would only be a pixel wide.

Jackstaff and Ensign Staff are absent as few features like lights/lamps, fire-hoses and other small bits and pieces especially around the center

Something I'd like to recommend as it does add a bit to any drawing, for those lines in the hull instead of just one darker line, try a lighter line with one underneath, that should help emphasize the shape of the lines
1) I'll give the portholes a try; I went the way I did at first because the 3 forwards ones are noticeably larger than the one in the forward door and I wanted to indicate that. I'll see what your suggestion looks like.

2) I did try indicating that with a slight change in the shipside grey; I guess I need a bit more contrast change. I'll try darkening that a bit.

3) How the flippin' hell did I miss both of those... also missed weatherdeck lights along the waist, too, I see now. I did put the two hose racks there, but they're partly occluded by the stbd rail (just by the midships bollards). There's also the kisby ring by the stbd bridge door... and the 12-in signal searchlight, as well as the whistle and upperdeck broadcast speaker... not sure I can actually place details as small as that; at 2 pixels/foot, they may be too small to show.

4) I'll definitely give that a try. I also need to move the strake along the waterline up a bit, too, I think.

Thank you very much for your feedback; I'll duff up the changes tomorrow when I get home. Also thanks for a wickedly excellent stbd side view, too; definitely bookmarking that!

ETA: Re the hose racks - I see I put them forward of the stbd classroom/mess door instead of aft where they should be... and I'll have to use pure white for the hoses; the light grey I chose doesn't show up worth a damn.

Also, next project will be HMCS Cormorant (ASL 20), decommissioned in 1997.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 13th, 2014, 5:38 pm
A very commendable first. Interesting little craft.
And so, welcome and we hope to see you in the Real Life thread soon.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 13th, 2014, 10:01 pm
Incorporated Rodondo's feedback:
  • moved fire hose stations to correct location aft of midships door
  • added kisbie ring on bridge wing
  • changed kisbie rings to be more orange than red
  • added ensign and jack staffs
  • added weatherdeck lights
  • added ship's whistle (bridge top)
  • darkened main portion of hull to better contrast for change of angle along top edge of fo'c'sle
  • fixed dark/light for hull strakes
  • added "www.shipbucket.com" logo in bottom right (layer was turned off on last save; derp derp)
[ img ]

Class composition:
PCT 55 Orca
PCT 56 Raven
PCT 57 Caribou
PCT 58 Renard
PCT 59 Wolf
PCT 60 Grizzly
PCT 61 Cougar
PCT 62 Moose

Specifications:
Displacement: 210 tonnes
Length: 33 m
Beam: 8.34 m
Draft: 2.6 m
Machinery: 2 x Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines, 2500 shp @ 1600 rpm; each driving 1 screw
Speed: 20 kts
Crew: 4
Accommodation: 4 crew, 20 instructors/students
Armament: Normally unarmed; can be fitted with 1 x 12.7mm M2 machine gun on fo'c'sle (2 so fitted for harbour security during 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC)

NOTE: These are not commissioned warships of the RCN and as such do not bear the prefix HMCS.

References:
1) View from stbd side looking port and aft
2) View from port side looking stbd
3) Courtesy of Rodondo - Stbd side profile
Novice wrote:
A very commendable first. Interesting little craft.
And so, welcome and we hope to see you in the Real Life thread soon.
Thanks. They're actually pretty decent sea boats; they ride well for their size and have plenty of power. My next project will be something a bit larger :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Re: Real Design, Canada - Orca class PCT WIPPosted: February 16th, 2015, 5:52 pm
Per Gollevainen's suggestion to me, I'm going to re-submit this in the Real Designs forum. I see that someone else a few years ago posted an Orca drawing there, so I assume I should make acknowledgment of their prior effort in my post.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: