Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 26th, 2014, 10:37 am
I am just wondering this for now: 1970's and VLS? VL seawolf was developed in the 90's, IIRC, about the same time as the Mk 41 VLS was first fitted.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 26th, 2014, 5:47 pm
yer... I don't really know enough about the development of British missiles to know if developing a VLS sea dart/Sea Wolf/Ikara/Womba is realistic (as Anthony William's claims ) or not ?

I may try a none VLS as well to compare them.

Hood yes will swap and have my good sonar on my destroyer.

Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 26th, 2014, 7:30 pm
Without VLS ..

[ img ]

I like the frigate but the destroyer has to much top weight (and maybe weight full stop) and Sea Wolf arcs are less than perfect. (but then the 42III don't even have them and no fast forty so not to bad, do I need both ?)

Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 26th, 2014, 7:45 pm
once again the ikara is to big for that launcher, there is an reason it got it'sown launcher...

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 26th, 2014, 8:43 pm
Ok just imagine its a mix of Sea Dart/ASROC that filled the same job (and a Sea Dart/Exocet SSM ) I will swap it later.
If the RN is serious about tie ups and make sure that the Ikara Aus/(exocet Fr or Womba Aus or sea eagle GB or Martel GB or just anti-ship Sea Dart GB :roll:) get made to fit with Sea Dart ?

JSB

Added AU missiles,
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 1:06 pm
I have cut down a bit (especially on the destroyer) what do you think ?

[ img ]

Cut the light guns down to 2(F) or 4(D) 25mm as RN didn't really like them pre Falkland's, but these ships still all have Sea wolf (1 on F and 1 + front launcher that can fire them as well on D) so not bad close AA and we have Sea Dart as well on the destroyer.

questions ?
- anybody who knows about sea wolf is it worth me putting a spare director on the front (on top of the bridge ?) of my Frigate (and will that give me all round fire ? ie can the missile go round the superstructure ?)
- should I fit a 2nd Sea wolf box on the front of my destroyer (say just below the bridge ?), rather than using the main Sea Dart launcher ?

Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 1:17 pm
I really can't see how the Ikara and Womba could work. Either they're too fat for the launcher or the torpedo is only a measly 9.5 inches in diameter.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 2:08 pm
Nice try, both ships could actually built, but:

*Why you do not use the Mk8 gun?
*In the forum there is sub-Dart (Sea dart with a torpedo for warhead), in a thread about Alternative RN Ships, I think you can borrow it.
*Personally I have searched about Never Built British Missiles and my proposal is to use a surface varaint of Martel and later of Sea Eagle.
*A surface to surface missile of the Ikara was indeed considered, but used the Ikara launcher for Perth Class destroyers. Finally a target drone for RAN was built.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:05 pm
Quote:
Why you do not use the Mk8 gun?
The idea (on the original web site ) was I think to save development cash and get more costumers for the GB missile system (ie swap missiles for guns with the Italians ? or somebody else but I picked the OTO 5 inch as it uses US ammo for easy resupply (but isn't US so may buy our missiles in a swap ) and I thought main guns are mainly for bombardment anyway and 5inch is better ?

THANKS :D for the sub dart ref I really should get better at searching :roll:

Don't think Ikara , Think AU anti Sub missile ie ASROC with a ramjet ;) lunched from Sea Dart or box launcher (may or may not be AUS made or just Sub Dart if made in GB ).
and Womba , Think Anti shipping missile with a ramjet ;) lunched from Sea Dart or box launcher (may or may not be AUS made or just Ship Dart if made in GB ).
(yes I may have to mod my box launcher later,but using harpoon one to stand in as WIP)
the Sub dart is really just a 2nd ASW (as is the homing torps) to my helicopters so only having a box with 4 Sub Dart/4 Ship Dart isn't to bad for a frigate (or sloop in RN speak ? ie not single role).

I think the frigate would be well placed for export (or licenced production ) as it can do everything (badly) and should be cheap ish. The RN will always be to small for big production runs so it makes sense to export as much as possible and the Leanders did sell well I plan or selling this to similar customers + Italians etc ?
Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:20 pm
JSB wrote:
Don't think Ikara , Think AU anti Sub missile ie ASROC with a ramjet ;) lunched from Sea Dart or box launcher (may or may not be AUS made or just Sub Dart if made in GB ).
I'm not. I'm thinking that missile has to be compatible with the SeaDart launcher and that gives you a maximum missile diameter of 17in IIRC

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: