Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 16th, 2014, 4:40 am
battleship lover haven't you reed the comment about that ship will not work. all side mounted VLS you can remove.
that old GMLS you can remove: It's so old that USA most likely don't have it in storage.
you'r radar fit is totally wrong. fr example you'r side mounted radar, that is an main radar, just like the APAR radar.
you have t many RAM launchers.
And where do you get these old an ugly parts from?

But most important, GET YOU'R OWN TREAD, if you want help at all. for now it is very difficult to help you and JSB. something that can make JSB confused since he read comments men for you and not him...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 16th, 2014, 4:55 am
battleship lover wrote:
@ JSB
thanks for the comments. But I am designing the ship to be a naval interceptor than carry helis because why would you need a helicopter when your supposed to be blowing up a landing ship or a land bombardment ship. Any way I even added armor on to the ship because obviously it will be taking in damage. Also I tore out the alto of the stuff out because I wanted to add more engine room.

.....if I had a dollar for every post like this, I cold have built such a ship. JSB's ships is very plausible (Though I'm noticing a fairbit of top weight has been added and I think another weapon system couldn't go astray but if its for a second rate navy like grand old Poland's should be fine)

Battleshiplovers, yours seems to be having a midlife crisis as to what it actually is, you claim its for "Naval interception'', I'd like to introduce you to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_attack_craft

*Two different Torpedo systems is redundant, in fact having three gun systems (I'd eschew the 57mm its rather pointless when you have a 30mm and a 117mm)

*The Carley floats on the side of the aft superstructure were phased ut in the 50's(?) Now we have automatically inflating lie-raft canisters (such an age we live in!)

* I think I'm right (I feel the breath of our USN experts on my neck) that the twin arm launcher you have there hasn't been in service since the 90's

*The VLS abreast of the bridge is treated to a lovely view of the sea from the portholes that must open directly onto the below-deck space. ;)

*Finally, crediting is all important as it's respectful to other artists, simply saying I'll do it later is a bit of a backhand

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 16th, 2014, 7:09 am
Battleshiplovers took up the challenge first and I will bow out so you can concentrate on his ship in this thread.

But :twisted: first,
Rodondo-
Quote:
I'm noticing a fairbit of top weight has been added
, I was thinking that the big old missiles (SS-N-12 +SA-N-6 )/ radars would be equal to my accommodation blocks/hangar ? (if not I can carry some ballast as the hull is not to overloaded I would think)

Rodondo-
I think another weapon system couldn't go astray but if its for a second rate navy like grand old Poland's should be fine
I'm thinking CHEAP as Poland will not have the budget (even subsidised by US) to spend much and the hull in any case is not worth spending much on as its old already and does it matter as this ship will be better than anything Poland has anyway! (and will mainly be used to show the flag/police pirates with RIB's and 50 cal's ;) ( I was tempted by going to a duble ended OHP (FFG-7) setup but it would still be old and crap so why not carry a big hangar/lots of TEU)

battleship lover-
Quote:
designing the ship to be a naval interceptor than carry helis because why would you need a helicopter when your supposed to be blowing up a landing ship or a land bombardment ship. Any way I even added armor on to the ship because obviously it will be taking in damage. Also I tore out the alto of the stuff out because I wanted to add more engine room.
In no particular order,
A) This would be the biggest ship in the Canadian navy ! = flagship (+not expendable Complement: 485 !!!) = need heli to move the admiral around at minimum. (Or just target stuff over the horizon ?)
B) Speed: 32 knots why do you need more engines ? Not sure the hull will like more power you will not get much more speed.
C) Any way I even added armor on to the ship because obviously it will be taking in damage .... that's not how modern navy's work :roll: (well at least I don't think so i'm not an expert, they use active defence like RAM rather than get hit as you cant armour radars etc and without them you are a blind target, mission killed) and if you are adding weight you NEED to cut stuff out to save weight(or make hull bigger = new ship in this case).
D)If you will allow let me show you what I would cut to make it all fit.(hope you don't mind :) I added you to the credits as well feel free to copy it if you want)
[ img ]
1) I think they would use 5 inch US (bigger gun = better bombardment + I think more used than 4.5 and Canada is not closer to UK than US, this is not WW2)
2) Cut off all old radars (saves weight/crew and doesn't cost anything as they are useless compared to new ones)
3) 2 Ram + 2 30mm (one at each end is plenty, with good arcs of fire)
4) Move stuff to make a heli pad at the back (and if you are rebuilding most of the top works why not do them all ?)
Hope that helps show what my thinking would be.
(add VLS can fire anything you need so just go with them and save on complexity, you can decide the missile fit later)
Thanks JSB

Last edited by JSB on May 16th, 2014, 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 16th, 2014, 7:18 am
I'll have a look into the weight saved JSB

EDIT While I couldn't find all the weights for the missiles, you might be right, soviet weapons are damn heavy, the savings of removing the twin AK130, the P500's (Couldn't find specific weights for the launchers) and the AS mortars, comes to about 237.6t (the penalty of two phalanxes and a 127mm gun plus ammunition comes to only about 68.5t)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Bismark195
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 16th, 2014, 8:04 am
@ JSB

Please don't bow out :( This thread is for multiple people to post their ideas on a single proposition. Only focusing on one persons design defeats the purpose of the thread. Please continue to post your designs and ideas here so the newer people like battleship lover and I have someone and something to look up to and guide us. Everyone's comments are valuable as it shapes our work.

But if you do decide to bow out, I must thank you for all contributions and guidance, as well as the wonderful designs you have posted to this thread.

Cheers, :mrgreen:

Bismark195

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 16th, 2014, 11:05 am
All he have to do is to start his own tread. So simple is it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bismark195
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 27th, 2014, 2:35 am
Here it is at last!, a multi-role flagship for the Royal Canadian Navy!!!
:D
[ img ]

Notes:

The angled boxes on the forecastle are tomahawk missile launchers. The forward two hold nine missiles each, and the one abreast the superstructure holds six

The area under the Helli-deck is a boat bay and is closed by two sets of doors

The rectangle covering up the bottom part of the hull on the mid-ships assault boat is a hinged armored flap to protect it from battle and wave action

The forward VLS pods hold a mixture of anti-air and Harpoon missiles

HELP!!!!

Can someone with the know-how Please put an Aegis system on the bridge structure. I have absolutely no idea how they work or how they are installed. Please help me!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 27th, 2014, 2:49 am
I have doubts the RCN would operate tomahawks or such a number of them.

Get rid of the 76mm, no need for it if you have the 127mm in such close promity and I'd rather skeptical of the DARDO's if you have 3 SeaRams and 2 Phalanx's

Also I believe the illuminators should be facing forwards for the VLS, somewhere on the mast or ahead of it

Not sure you could fit two heli's that size and six boats in the hangar and stern

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 27th, 2014, 9:01 am
Can you repost your host has resized it (I would use a different host site, I use majhost.com its easy free and doesn't resize pics),

My comments would be to,
- Use more Canadian systems (ie stuff already used in the current fleet ) remove RAM, DARDO's (and this makes the hangar wider :-) ), I would also remove the 76. I would keep 2 Phalanx (ends) and maybe add 2 57mm (on each side).
- Cut tomahawks to 6 ABL's with 4 in each for 24 missiles plenty for Canada (don't know if they are stored somewhere in the big USN old parts bin or if they would have to be new made ?)
- do you fit the Aegis system (I would fit it to the mast to be higher up) or just use the system on the Aegis system Aegis Iroquois-class destroyers already in Canadian service ?
- don't need 'flap' its a huge high ship v waves and don't bother armouring to protect it from battle (it will weight to much and the boat is a secondary unimportant system, any armourer weight should go to protect more important systems such as the main VLS mags)
- for boats at the back show doors ? and maybe cut or spread out the .5 guns (so stern/middle/bridge each side for 6 total)

my quick cut a paste of what I would do (feel free to tell me its all wrong as this is your ship ;) )
[ img ]
Overall its looking good so keep it up !
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Bismark195
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 30th, 2014, 6:07 pm
Here she is again! Many thanks to JSB for their design input. :mrgreen:
[ img ]

Notes:

The tomahawk launchers are built on the existing supports from the Russian launchers and they hold more missiles than the USN armored box launchers.

Moved the bow 3" to midships and replaced them with manned 20mm cannon.

The hanger is full beam. The 3" guns in the indents is an idea I modified from the Lupo class frigates. (they have DARDOS though)

Removed two RIBS from the stern bay to free up space.

Tell me what you think!

Last edited by Bismark195 on May 31st, 2014, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: