Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Bismark195
Post subject: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina...?Posted: May 4th, 2014, 12:10 am
Hello there folks! this is my first post here on Shipbucket,

WARNING: Please do not debate on the Ukrainian crises on this thread. Opinion posts on the topic will be flagged and removed.

Moored in the southern Ukrainian port city of Mykolaiv is the 95% complete Slava class cruiser Ukrayina. What if Canada bought the Ukrayina to keep her out of the Russians hands (they want to seize the ship and add it to their navy) and had her rebuilt with western weapons and technology? What would she look like, and what would she carry in equipment, armament, armor, and aircraft? My challenge to you is to redevelop the Ukrayina for the Canadian Navy and post it here on this thread.

Shipbucket user Gollevainen has a nice drawing of a Slava class cruiser available in the Russia section of the real designs page on this site that could be used as a starting point.

Have fun and good luck!

Here is a link for further information on the Ukrayina:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_cruiser_Ukrayina

Last edited by Bismark195 on May 4th, 2014, 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: What If...?Posted: May 4th, 2014, 12:27 am
Would take a lot of $ as she's relatively rusted from what I know on the exterior and in some compartments

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Bismark195
Post subject: Re: What If...?Posted: May 4th, 2014, 12:29 am
Ukraine says she needs about $30 million to complete using her planed equipment

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 4th, 2014, 5:47 am
This type of thread never really goes too well. This isn't a forum for requesting drawings... it's a forum for making the drawings yourself. Why don't you have a shot at it? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bismark195
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 4th, 2014, 11:59 pm
@Colosseum,

Thanks for the Reply :)
I figure it might not go to well, but its the best I can do at the moment. School is sucking the life out of me right now, and I have almost zero talent for this type of thing. I do not know were to start, or what programs to use. In hindsight, that question should have been my first post. Plus, I'm very interested in what other people think and what their ideas are. I have my own idea of what the Ukrayina should look like, but as stated, I do not know were or how to start.

If you or anybody could give me some tips, that would be wonderful! :D

Thanks very much!

Last edited by Bismark195 on May 5th, 2014, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 5th, 2014, 12:11 am
what Canada would do to that cruiser. well they would struck and cheep deal. since the ship is an rust hulk, then just scrap the ship, get it's metal and use it other areas.

for you need to remember that ship is an old relic from the cold war. the only reason for the Russian still use it, is because they have noting else to use, and it's only one of the few Russian made ships that still can carry those big heavy missiles Russia still use. but as sun Russia start'sit building program for destroyers and cruisers. these cruisers would be taken out of service.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bismark195
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 5th, 2014, 1:14 am
@Heuhen

thanks for the reply! :)
Yea, I know that it is a bit rusty, but this thread is a 'what if' one. I'm just looking to see what people will come up with in response to the challenge.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 5th, 2014, 3:59 am
Someone with four posts is ill-suited to issue a challenge to our artists. ;)

Again, would recommend giving it a shot yourself. Look at the various drawing guides scattered around the forum. Pull Gollevainen's Slava into Paint and play around with it yourself... this is how all of us got started. Good luck!

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 5th, 2014, 4:09 am
i would like to take the challenge :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: What If Canada bought the Slava class cruiser Ukrayina..Posted: May 5th, 2014, 4:48 am
does any one have a Canadian parts sheet?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: