Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
bsmart
Post subject: Chinese Type 056 CorvettePosted: May 12th, 2014, 8:43 pm
[ img ]

Ok, lied a little bit about the Type 056. It's coming, I swear. I wanted some practice and the easiest way way to just start drawing and it was less intimidating to go with one that exists in my head. I'm starting to search for references for the Type 056. Hopefully I'll start from scratch on it tomorrow.

I've had this gun cruiser in my head for a couple years now. Just imagine a happier world where big guns have managed to stay on par with medium range SSM's because... I dunno, liquid propellant rocket assisted bullshit or something. Mostly I just love WWII cruisers and as impressive as modern ships are the wide open expanse of a VLS cluster just isn't as impressive as a triple turret of 12" guns.

I used one of Colosseum's old Alaska drawings as the base, mostly for the hull and turrets. I modified the hull to look a bit more modern though I haven't tackled the props yet. Similarly I tweaked the turrets. The pedestal in front of the bridge is for a close range defense weapon, dunno what kind yet. The whole ship was rather low slung so I added the tower for the SPY-1. The area aft of the tower is where most of the VLS cells would be. Naturally it's a nuke because why the hell wouldn't a ridiculous thing like this be one.

By all means, tear into it. Hopefully I can post something Type 056 related in a few days.

Last edited by bsmart on June 5th, 2014, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 12th, 2014, 10:10 pm
for good sake, don't use that propeller. very simple just delete it.

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 3:12 am
Like I said, it's based off an old drawing. I'll hunt for something to replace them with. I need to reduce it to two props as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 12:46 pm
Ask and you shall receive.

[ img ]

Used the prop from MihoshiK and Colosseum's Tico. Still more or less a place holder.

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 2:54 pm
As promised, first pass on the Chinese Type 056

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 3:01 pm
check for parts on the corvette, I think at least the gun is drawn already. (you might be able to improve the gun if your have good references, though)
the shape of the stern seems somewhat different though, and the hull shape seems somewhat unlikely to me. the propeller is 3 times the size it should be. do you have some lineart to start from?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 3:02 pm
Aside from that propeller which seems to more prevalent than herpes, its a good start (ninja'ed by Bezobrazov about the parts), though, I'd be careful with your scaling, looks to be about ~1m too short but its hard to tell with out a scale bar

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 3:07 pm
The prop is a joke.

The stern is the hardest place to find references of. I'm still digging. Most are from Chinese sites and they have oh so helpfully blurred the screws and rudders. as well as how they join with the hull. As best I can tell there is an angular break in the lower hull, hence the line. You transition from a side mostly in line with the upper hull to the rounded form of the hull bottom at a sharp crease. The rounded portion of the hull fades into the bottom of the ship completely save for the penetrations for the shafts.

Ah, found one. I've gotta tweak the shaft supports.

[ img ]

And heres what I'm talking about with the break

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 3:09 pm
Rodondo wrote:
Aside from that propeller which seems to more prevalent than herpes, its a good start (ninja'ed by Bezobrazov about the parts), though, I'd be careful with your scaling, looks to be about ~1m too short but its hard to tell with out a scale bar
I'm pretty sure it's spot on length wise. I scaled my reference to exactly 584 pixels long which matches up with her 292ft. length as best I can calculate.

As for the parts I'm going to look around. I just freehanded most of the major stuff in as place holders.

Edit

Yup, just remeasured it. It's 584 pixels overall. The published length is 89m which is 291.99ft.

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: May 13th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Rev 2

Stole the prop from a Luda, still too big though, just a place holder. Added some basic color. Fixed the stern as it was just... wrong. Updated the funnel to the proper style. They refitted them after the first five to have an enclose structure, no more exposed exhausts.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: