Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 22  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1822 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 2:30 pm
Having gone down to 2 screws (and probably reduced my belt) on cost grounds I was defiantly wanting to keep unit machinery (ie. BR/ER/BR/ER ) so thought I would need spaced out funnels ?
Quote:
Have you thought of trying a single funnel á la the early Leanders?
I think they didn't have unit machinery (and I think that's a big negative as a week belt/no TDS makes them very venerable to losing all power)

If you think I should move them forward or together (and keep unit BR/ER/BR/ER) please suggest an amount as I did it all by eye.

Thanks
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 2:48 pm
Yes they didn't have dispersed machinery so a midships hit could cause more problems to your boilers, but then again since it's a smaller ship dispersed machinery could also cause layout problems if spread out? I really don't know as unfortunately I lack the technical knowledge to advise you on the best approach.

When designing ships I really just do everything by eye too so unless someone with more knowledge on this matter can shed some light I'd say just do whatever you think looks right. I guess if it's designed after the Leanders it would have two funnels and dispersed machinery, but maybe the funnels could be closer together? Again though this is purely from an aesthetic standpoint so do whatever you think looks best :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Honestly. For something such as this I wouldn't bother with dispersed boiler and machinery spaces. The Arethusa was IMO the smallest workable 6" cruiser. The way you're going you're going to end up with more of a super destroyer than light cruiser!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 4:01 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Honestly. For something such as this I wouldn't bother with dispersed boiler and machinery spaces. The Arethusa was IMO the smallest workable 6" cruiser. The way you're going you're going to end up with more of a super destroyer than light cruiser!
1) would a super destroyer not want dispersed BR/ER as well ?

2) why cant my 6 inch CL work ? (say at 4500t ?) (my only thought is that 4 guns doesn't give good salvos)

3) maybe would 8-10 4.5s (or 4.7s, I don't like the idea of loading 5.25s on a DD) on a super destroyer (3000t) be better ?

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 4:21 pm
It's not so much a case of wanting one more can it fit without buggering up other areas within the hull.

That's pretty much the nail on the head, it's a very small battery.

Personally. I think it would be a better idea. Something like a cross between Manxman and a Dido?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 5:58 pm
My main problem (apart from not giving Oberon his CLs) with a 3000tish super destroyer is that it smacks to much of hindsight as it will look to much like a daring class ;) .

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 7:20 pm
when UK went to Colony class, they were the same length as the Leander types, but 6-7 feet broader to take the triples. Any reason you might widen the hull to the point where you can ship two triples and increase your gunpower that way. end up with pocket light cruisers ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 7:37 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
when UK went to Colony class, they were the same length as the Leander types, but 6-7 feet broader to take the triples. Any reason you might widen the hull to the point where you can ship two triples and increase your gunpower that way. end up with pocket light cruisers ;)
Not totally sure but would it be to fat for its length ? May make it to slow ?

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Too slow? For hunting AMCs? You're looking at ~20 knots top end for the most manly of AMCs so any speed advantage over them is good enough.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: July 30th, 2014, 8:08 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Too slow? For hunting AMCs? You're looking at ~20 knots top end for the most manly of AMCs so any speed advantage over them is good enough.
Yes but I was thinking that it would have to be able to be a bad CL for other duties as well.(don't really want to build one mission ships ).
Thinking that it would have to help hunt for a pocket battleship, or IJN CA even if it would never be able to fight one.(so must be able to try and run away) ganging up hopefully with other bigger RN CLs/CAs.

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 22  [ 216 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1822 »

Jump to: