Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
CraigH
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 19th, 2014, 10:23 pm
krases wrote:
I wanted to run some further ideas by you guys. Would naval canister shot work with the size of the shell this thing fires? I am thinking a cluster of 6" APHE shells within a larger shell that comes apart on descent.
That would be @#&%ed up! :twisted: Imagine the look on the faces of the bridge crew when that salvo brackets them.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 19th, 2014, 10:50 pm
This cannon was build by the Germany, was originally assigned for one of there Battleships... This fortress is placed outside Trondheim. This fortress is not so deep.
[ img ]
from here, some nice pictures in there.
http://freak.no/forum/showthread.php?t=263464&page=2

Outside Bergen there is an fortress build by the Germany on the west coast. that fortress is so deep, that people have only managed to go four level down. Rest of it have been sealed off. it's magazine is placed around 10 to 40 meter down, under a lake...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 20th, 2014, 1:13 am
It could be worth reading up on the AA shells made for Yamato's 18" which broke down from large to smaller. Give you an idea of what can be done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 20th, 2014, 2:30 am
Huh. It basically sounds like a giant scaled up equivalent of the 12 gauge dragon breath shell you can use with shotguns.

I am basically picturing this, but with 6" shells and not a bomb.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 21st, 2014, 6:07 am
Alright, I tried making a boat. A fictional patrol boat for a tiny fictional country in the Darien Rainforest region. Mounts a 40mm gun and would work around the 1930's. Took me around 45 minutes, good learning exercise. The propeller sucks. Its custom as is the gun.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great. Not sure where to mount the 34" gun.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 21st, 2014, 8:39 am
Hi Krases,

Firstly, looks quite cool! That may or may not be a valid endorsement, given the stuff I've put my name to, but it looks like it's had some thought put into it.

One point about the shells - the equivalent capacity of a shell will be lower than a bomb because launching a bomb involves much less stress on the projectile - this may mean that your intended separation mechanic will not work because the shell wall thickness will have to be higher. Also, you might want to put some thought into how to fuse those 6" shells, I'm not exactly sure how you'd do it to get it working properly.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 21st, 2014, 2:30 pm
All that armor on the turret becomes quite useless when you factor in the fragility of the raising mechanism and the rails needed to move it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: 34 Inch coastal defense gun turretPosted: October 21st, 2014, 4:37 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Krases,

Firstly, looks quite cool! That may or may not be a valid endorsement, given the stuff I've put my name to, but it looks like it's had some thought put into it.

One point about the shells - the equivalent capacity of a shell will be lower than a bomb because launching a bomb involves much less stress on the projectile - this may mean that your intended separation mechanic will not work because the shell wall thickness will have to be higher. Also, you might want to put some thought into how to fuse those 6" shells, I'm not exactly sure how you'd do it to get it working properly.

Regards,
Adam
Yeah it was just an interesting idea. I really haven't put terribly much thought into it, other than look up pictures about how MIRV's work, but those are much larger than the shells this thing launches.
Shipright wrote:
All that armor on the turret becomes quite useless when you factor in the fragility of the raising mechanism and the rails needed to move it.
I wanted to go for that not-entirely-practical 1920's aesthetic you see in a lot of Tanks from the inter-war era when designing this gun. The raising mechanism though is located at the center of the joint where the barrel meets the small set of rails used to extend the gun. The extra wires on top are just fluff. Though I thought about saying they were a back-up mechanism for lifting the gun.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: