Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Kiwi Imperialist
Post subject: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 10th, 2014, 11:03 am
Hello everyone. I have been browsing through the amazing work that has appeared on Shipbucket for a couple of years now and have drawn a couple of ships for NationStates, so I figured that it would probably be a good idea to make an account here. The ship below, a fictional South Korean minelayer, is the first ship I have completed while attempting to conform to Shipbucket standards. It is not based on any real life proposal, but the general shape of the vessel is inspired by the Pohang class corvette. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

[ img ]

The Sacheon class entered service in the early 1980s to bolster the minelaying capability of the Republic of Korea Navy. A total of four were built. It was capable of transporting and deploying 150 mines, which were stored beneath the helipad and released into the ocean through doors at the vessel’s stern. Ships of the class were not designed to operate helicopters and the helipad merely allowed land based helicopters to touch down on the vessel and transfer personnel or supplies. The gun armament was included in an effort to deter a North Korean torpedo boat or aircraft from attacking the Sacheon class during hypothetical wartime minelaying operations. The Sacheon class had a complement of 118 and remained in service until the late 1990s when the Wonsan class entered service.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 10th, 2014, 11:09 am
Welcome aboard!

Well its great start and I can't see any issue with it at first glance. Might just want to add some shading under the knuckle forwards and shade the bridge windows forwards a lighter shade. Can't really comment on the sensor suite as it isn't my forte

Again welcome aboard Kiwi Imperialist and hope to see more! :)

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 10th, 2014, 1:41 pm
Welcome and nice 8-)

JSB

Have you looked at
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5351
for Pohang-class corvette

Last edited by JSB on December 10th, 2014, 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 10th, 2014, 2:01 pm
Very nice start! Welcome aboard the forum Kiwi Imperialist!

Some information about the ship itshelf would be useful.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 10th, 2014, 5:47 pm
Welcome aboard!
The design looks nice at a glance. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 10th, 2014, 9:15 pm
Not bad, but the mine gate is awfully close to the water. I'd en increase the freeboard and move mine deck up about two meters. Aside from keeping the mine deck from flooding it also has the added benefit of giving you room to mount a steering gear.
Preferably you'd also have a couple of doors in the side to facilitate loading. You can load through the stern gate, but it's really awkward when moored alongside.
I'd also replace one of the 40mm' with Sea Sparrow. The Norks aren't known for their super modern gear, but they do have a couple of reasonably fast jets and a stock of anti ship missiles.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kiwi Imperialist
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 12th, 2014, 12:11 am
I have made several modifications based on everyone’s suggestions, as well as a few ideas of my own. The mine gate has been raised, doors for mine loading have been added, portholes have been included in areas of the hull where the Pohang class has them, and the SPS-49 radar has been replaced with the DA-08 radar as I believe that this radar is more appropriate for a South Korean vessel which entered service in the early 1980s. There are a few minor changes to detail as well. Thiel, thanks for the suggestion, but I have decided against replacing one of the 40 mm turrets with a Sea Sparrow launcher. As far as I am aware no South Korean warships constructed in the early 1980s were equipped with the Sea Sparrow, or any other surface to air missile for that matter.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 12th, 2014, 4:15 am
Perhaps LW-08 early version is more correct. It is in Dutch part sheets. Otherwise, your design is plausible and very beautiful.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 13th, 2014, 11:26 am
Could I convince you to upload it via Dropbox instead? I'm working through a satellite connection and the company has just changed over to a new system that blocks all dedicated image hosts for some obscure reason

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Fictional South Korean MinelayerPosted: December 13th, 2014, 11:40 am
Welcome aboard!

That is a very fine entrance and a totally plausible fictional design. I'm with you in not fitting Sea Sparrow, right now this look just right for its period.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: