Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 6th, 2015, 3:36 am
Current Progress:

[ img ]

Based it on the Royal Navy Battleship 'X' 1945 design, drawn by Hood. The advanced electronics will be replaced, it's just that I liked the particular "castle" form that X has when compared to the Japanese, American, or other British ships.

Seems like I'll need to fudge some of the SpringSharp numbers, but in general everything has been fitted pretty well. One interesting thing is how I realized that the length between the B and X turrets is just enough room to put in BB-57 South Dakota's superstructure. I'll have to try and work things out to fit things it. At least it isn't as cramped as Hiraga's 1928 design for a treaty battleship.

In case you're wondering why I didn't follow the drawing: I was originally given the drawing for a fan of my writing around March 2014. Since various specifications changed (such as there being greater British influence in naval designing), I'm using the drawing as a loose basis for Gwangmu.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 6th, 2015, 9:44 pm
She is coming along nicely Sumeragi. I like that one a lot. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 7th, 2015, 5:50 pm
[ img ]

Progress so far. I'll likely finish up the basic superstructure by tomorrow and then start working on replacing the armaments. After that, electronics.

Not sure if I should link the X turret with the superstructure. Thinking I might as well connect the B turret also if I go along with the idea, like what the US battleships did. For some reason the free-standing barrettes that the RN used looks so..... open.

One general characteristic I'm going for with the Daihan/Korean ships is a unified superstructure, like the South Dakota. If IJN has the Pagoda, USN the Horn, and RN the Castle, KJH will have the "Panok", a single large superstructure looking like a fortress.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 8th, 2015, 8:47 am
Nice progress. Linking the turrets with the superstructure should be fine. The RN did that as well, but on some later designs it seems to have fallen out of favour for some reason. Probably to save weight.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 8th, 2015, 7:15 pm
[ img ]
Full Resolution

Unlinked (for now) finished superstructure. I'll be moving on to the secondary armament and electronics, but first I need to think about a few things.

1. Secondary battery

I'll be making my own DP gun, so that's not an "issue". The main issue would be the fire control system. Would it be correct to say that the British had to split the QF 5.25-inch Mk I fire control between HACS AA and Admiralty Fire Control clock? If this is so, doesn't this mean that the unified Mark 37 Gun Fire Control System should be more "efficient" for serving DP guns? Any thoughts on this?

2. Bofors 40 mm anti-aircraft guns

Nothing special in themselves, but I've been wondering what mount would be the most "efficient", so to speak. There is the American MK 12 quadruple mount and the Vanguard sextuple-barrel mount. Is there any studies or the such to check the efficiency of the Vanguard mount?

3. Radars and whatnot:

What are the main differences with American and British radars? Since the Tizard mission there seems to have been quite a bit of collaboration, but ultimately were there differences in performance or methods of detection, or are the external differences just that, external?

Apologies for some of these novice-sounding questions. I've only recently started being particularly interested in ships (mainly due to my AH writing), and thus have only superficial knowledge. I would be grateful for any help and food for thoughts.

Thank you.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 8th, 2015, 7:30 pm
Depends on your AU seting but I would be worried you are going for to much late war stuff in a 1936 battleship,
If you build it from JAN 37, then you might finish by early 39 if you are in a super fast KGV style rush to get them in servise.

Spesifically,
1) Just having a working Dp gun makes you better than anybody apart from the USN and RN (so geting a MK37 style working will be hard and expensive)
2) In 39 having lots of 40mm will be way better than anything in the world. (and a sextuple-barrel mount might have more firepower than some full battleships in servive in 39)
3) Will you even have radars working by 39 ?

I think you need to deside who you are allied with (or can buy tech from) and how much you can push teh state of the art and a date would be usefull.

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 8th, 2015, 7:52 pm
Radar and other electronics are around 2~3 years faster than our history, so we're looking at mid-Pacific War tech (for the US) by the time Gwangmu goes into action in 1940.

Korea itself is also pretty fast, being the one to jumpstart its radar program with Japanese scientists who were ignored by both IJA and IJN in our history, and also has British support by cooperation with Tizard's Aeronautical Research Committee. I would say that the British are around 1942 of our world, while Korea is 1940~1941 (so around Type 281 and Type 285, I suppose)

Thanks for your comments, I'll keep those in mind.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 8th, 2015, 9:53 pm
I would raise the inboard pair of secondaries up a deck as in Vanguard. Give you a better field of fire. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 8th, 2015, 9:58 pm
Bombhead wrote:
I would raise the inboard pair of secondaries up a deck as in Vanguard. Give you a better field of fire. 8-)
I'll be doing that, I just didn't do it now since I need to make an original 12.5 cm DP gun. Main issue would be how to fit in the fifth center turret. Likely I'll pull off a South Dakota on a lower deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: Gwangmu-Class Battleship (AU)Posted: January 10th, 2015, 1:55 am
Installed new secondary battery

[ img ]
Full Resolution

It's a 12.5 cm L/54 DP gun, developed since 5.25 inches was considered a tad too large for high rate of fire. I've based the general locations based on the USN B-65 Scheme 3 of 1940.

Supposing this seems all right, I'll move on to the AA guns and touch up on the superstructure to make it look more lively. Currently thinking of replacing the QF 40 mm Mark VI, since they seem rather cumbersome even if the large tray feeding is a nice feature. After that, it'll be electronics.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: