Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 1:24 pm
the prop is much better, the sonar dome is much better(but not perfect) , but the hull shading on the rest is far worse, sorry. in the bow, where the ship is narrower, there would be very little shading as there is very little of the hull facing down...... while in your case, the entire bow is shaded. look at the hull shading on the 1947 destroyer I linked. I would also shade with a bit less dark colour, and only a single shade, because now I see the hull first and then the rest of the ship (it is so bright it is very distracting)

I think you took the wrong side of the gun, it is missing its maintenance hatch.

I stand corrected on the boot topping.

something I just noticed: you have the superstructure shaded as if the light is coming from the stern, but we standard shade as if the light is coming from the bow.

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 2:05 pm
Whoops, I think I see what you mean ;)

[ img ]

I thought I was shading from the front - just me being inept, I guess :) Which bit needs changing?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 2:20 pm
sonar dome needs some work, and why the 2 shading tones?

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 2:32 pm
I'll have another look at the dome a bit later on, feel I should practice some mental maths for flying aptitude first :( editing these drawings just prolongs my procrastination aha.

I guess I just thought the hull looked more rounded with 3 hull colours, and it's what I've done on my other drawings so far. Maintaining consistency, I suppose :)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 3:30 pm
shading in 3 colours is no problem, but try to actually let them represent something. right now it is just an blurry edge for your shading, which adds nothing but confusion to the actual drawing IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 6:09 pm
As far as I am aware the boot topping is only angled that sharply above the waterline, below the waterline the angle can't be as steep as currently shown surely? IMO it may well be a slight optical illusion due to the profile of the hull. I'd possibly raise the lower band 2-3 pixels if it were me.

Some other things whilst I'm here.

- As ace says, the sonar dome could do with some work the actual blend between the dome and the ship proper isn't as harsh as is implied here.
- The general scheme of shading seems somewhat confused in as much as there are some missing grey lines to finish off angled faces (Mainmast and sponsons come to mind) as well as some quirky bits of shading elsewhere (anchor pockets etc)
- Finally, for the fin stabilisers I'd most likely round the profile off at the top compared to the angle they currently intersect the hull at plus I'm fairly certain that the rudders are somewhat more symmetrical than currently shown although AFAIK they are indeed still raked.

Good to see the T45s getting some love. I'd have done them myself by now if I had the time available.

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 7:44 pm
I updated the image above with some corrections - I tried again with the sonar whatsit but I'm really not sure if I'm actually improving at all :? I didn't actually notice I missed the lines on the mast ... hopefully should look better now.

The anchor at the front and the corresponding shading is meant to replicate this:

[ img ]

But this might work better:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 8:20 pm
[ img ]
an example how I think the sonar should be, and a green line how I think the shading line should run (the midship section is not straight, the bottom turns up more and more going forward, after which it goes over the 45 degrees and the shading goes down again)
I also recoloured the skeg, as it is not facing down.

note for the green line and the sonar, do not copy-paste those directly, I have done them without pictures or anything of the real ship, so you should be able to improve massively on their actual shape.

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 15th, 2015, 3:28 am
I'm not really very good at this shading stuff :( Anyway, here's the latest effort ...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 15th, 2015, 10:02 am
Nice progress.
My suggestion for the boot topping would be to remove the black outlines, at the moment its making it stand out too much.
Those superstructure vents should be outlined in black ideally.

I wonder what made the Navy paint a curved boot topping like this?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: