Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 6th, 2015, 5:25 am
Hey guys,

I had a go at updating the River to correct the prop shafts and then as I was doing that I realised some other parts needed tweaking as well, or as well as I could do with the reference images I could find. The updated slope at the stern looks pretty gash to me but as far as I can make out that's closer to what it will actually look like. Some things I've seen have them with bow thrusters, some things don't, so I left them off for now. If I see anything conclusive I'll stick them on.

[ img ]

Thanks for your help and comments, guys ;)

Last edited by waterwings on February 8th, 2015, 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
meyer
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 6th, 2015, 7:21 am
Very nice work but the 30mm is too small and the guns at the sides are miniguns (multi-barrel machune guns) and not 20mm

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 6th, 2015, 10:18 am
Also of note but a minor one at that, the Merlin should be shown in flight as it has no hangar facilities.

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 8th, 2015, 10:40 pm
I updated the above image; used the weapons chart 30mm, moved the merlin and got rid of the 20mms, but we'll call it fitted for but not with.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 9th, 2015, 8:42 am
Looking good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: February 10th, 2015, 7:28 pm
Very nice!

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 9th, 2015, 4:24 pm
Hey guys,

I'm not sure what the protocol is here for doing ships that already have an entry in the database?

I had a go at HMS Duncan (D37) because it's the first 45 to get Harpoon - originally I was just looking to update the original T45 on the website with a Harpoon system but then I thought that was a bit lazy and decided to try it myself as another project. I just thought it'd be fun to do, I didn't have an agenda or anything, just an opportunity to practice. It was more complicated than the ships I'd done before but actually some of it seemed easier - there's a lot more space to work in than on a Scimitar :?

Anyway, here we go - one with a Merlin, one with a Lynx/Wildcat.

[ img ]

[ img ]

I don't really like the look of the ensign or whatever the thing is that's above the 30mm, and I hope I've put the missiles and things in the right place, it's the first time I've had to use them. I hope it's okay!

Cheers guys!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 9th, 2015, 5:02 pm
Quote:
I'm not sure what the protocol is here for doing ships that already have an entry in the database?
Hi, the basic thumbrule is that you can drawn what ever you like, but as an gentlemans agreement I wont upload anything to the actuall archive without consent of the original artist if such can be aquired within reasonable effort.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 9th, 2015, 7:14 pm
the general way things go, relating to the above said by Gollevainen, is that artists have no problem if their drawings get replaced by something better. if it is of the same standard (both in drawing style and in accuracy) or even inferior, there is of course no need to replace the original drawing on the main site archive.

that said, I have some comments on these drawings:
first of all, in some respects it is clearly superior to what is currently on the main site. but......
- the propeller needs some work. my advice is, look at the dutch zeven provincien FFG drawing.
- the boot topping height seems a bit excessive on the bow, are you certain this is the case?
- aster has an updated drawing, here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63276563/GMLS%2 ... %20VLS.png
- the gun has an updated drawing, here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=65
-the ECM antenna on the mast is really big enough to be outlined in black.
- take a look here: viewtopic.php?p=138066#p138066 for our basic hull shading conventions, the hull right underneath the SAMPSON, the bow and the sonar dome seem to be off. I would shade the rudder and skeg basic red too, as they are not facing down. (I would expect it to be more like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... 47%202.png)
- I would outline the doors, bulwarks and gangway in black instead of light grey. right now they are barely visible, which makes the ship uninteresting and flat........ something you only want on ships where the drawing would be too busy to look at, something certainly not the case on modern stealth ships like this :P

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: Missing current RN shipsPosted: March 10th, 2015, 12:56 pm
I'll see if I can get in touch :)

V2:

[ img ]

I upgraded the weapons and had a crack at the hull & the prop ... I hope it's some improvement :?

As far as the black strip along the hull goes (I assumed that was the boot), I think it's close - just an example:

[ img ]

[ img ]

I think it curves up and out a bit from stern to bow, and as far as I can make out I'm close to the right proportions. Assuming my trig is right. I did alter it a bit.

Cheers!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: