Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 5:55 pm
Sorry for the double post again, but here's a 1912 refit.

[ img ]

Last edited by ABetterName on April 19th, 2015, 4:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 7:38 pm
You can just edit your last but I don't think that double posting on your own thread (when posting new ships) is anything bad.

As to your ship,
- I like the new bow (but I think you will lose a lot of life rafts as they are)
- I don't like losing free board forward with the new TT (why not place them next to funnels instead of boats ?)
- Why raise the rear gun ? (X ?) when blast will stop it firing over the Y gun ? (and higher up will cost a lot of weight)

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 7:52 pm
Torpedoes were next to the funnels in the 1910 refit, this set up allows for more tubes, I think.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 9:41 pm
this setup will also result in a ship breaking in half due to the structural weaknesses around the torpedo tubes.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm
That doesn't seem right to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 10:37 pm
ABetterName wrote:
That doesn't seem right to me.
We are here to help, sometimes, we have an huge mass of people that will always jump up and help out. But something is weird today, no one have jumped up, except "acelanceloet", but then that is what he do, to all of us, and that is nice! But since those usual people doesn't, I'll do, and that is unusual at the best. I am a little kosher when it come to explain things.... so here we go, hang on:

Torpedo tubes aren't everything. Torpedo tubes weight a little, thus add some stress on the hull. And those Destroyers with torpedo tubes was designed with torpedo tubes in those area, so when you start to refit a ship with new torpedo tubes in new location...

Also just bellow that area you have those torpedo tubes you have the engine room, that alone put some strain on the hull, and just adding torpedo tubes above that...

Some destroyers in that time period was designed with the task to defend off and hunt down small torpedo boats. Other destroyers was designed as torpedo destroyer, they tend to have light gun armament, and some torpedo tubes. some torpedo tubes are in a fixed position, and other could rotate. But for many smaller destroyer the torpedo tubes took up the place where the main gun often are.

for you'r destroyer, I would:

- smaller funnels, you'r look like funnels from a cruiser in that time period.
- torpedo tubes, okay the size of them can work, but many destroyer in that time period have smaller torpedo tubes.
- main armament, often similar destroyers have them in open turrets. And it's possible to many of them. You can replace on of the aft turret with the torpedo tubes and remove that one next to the funnel.
- torpedo tubes in the front hull. move the superstructure more forward, then have an small torpedo tubes on both side of the ship.

At the moment you'r destroyer look's like you trying to draw an destroyer before WW1, but with WW2 destroyer design. That's... uhm. kosher...

Destroyers of that time period:

- notice how small the torpedo tubes are.
- notice how small the funnel are.
- notice how small the guns are. and how few of them.
- notice how small the bridge are.
[ img ]

the same as above:
[ img ]

and the same as above:
[ img ]

Just for the heck of it, the Norwegian Draug class.
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 18th, 2015, 10:45 pm
Most of this design is based on the V82 and similar German destroyers which are of the time period.

Here is a 1913 refit with some of your changes done.

[ img ]

Also: As I'm doing a fictional nation, it could be quite possible that they have a different design philosophy from real nations, yes?

Last edited by ABetterName on April 19th, 2015, 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 19th, 2015, 12:24 am
Hope you don't mind had a go cutting and pasting to show what I would go for.

[ img ]

Main points,
- moved portholes (so they are not in engines rooms)
- lowered rear X gun
- smaller funnels
- as large as possible foredeck

I would also add,
- a lot of your background isn't empty (makes it much harder to cut and past stuff)
- credits should be a list of names ie 1st, 2nd,3rd adding as you modify stuff. (& is for if you cooperated together) so in the last case Garlicdesigns, ABetterName, JSB (not &)
Quote:
Also: As I'm doing a fictional nation, it could be quite possible that they have a different design philosophy from real nations, yes?
Yes and NO each nation had a style but also you can date ships (to within 10-15 years, unless you are a really out of date old design for a backwater navy) as they are followed similar patterns (and physics doesn't allow you to cheat on displacement)

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 19th, 2015, 12:30 am
JSB wrote:
- credits should be a list of names ie 1st, 2nd,3rd adding as you modify stuff. (& is for if you cooperated together) so in the last case Garlicdesigns, ABetterName, JSB (not &)
Ah okay, I'll fix that.

I've updated all of the versions to fix porthole placement.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian Empire Horus-Class DestroyerPosted: April 19th, 2015, 4:33 am
it took me a while to get to editing the destroyers because I was busy working away at this.

[ img ]

A side note: I hate rigging.

Edit: I don't hate rigging anymore, I figured out how to do it without burning my eyes.

Edit: design changed slightly

Last edited by ABetterName on April 19th, 2015, 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: