Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
theminer220
Post subject: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 2:47 pm
While I have created ships before on other programs, and have been a lurker on the forums for the past couple of months, I am not really experienced when it comes to drawing on Shipbucket. Here's an idea I had for some sort of '50s trawler that would be used for a small AU coast guard during the Cold War.
[ img ]
Sorry that the shading (as well as other parts) is probably incorrect.

Last edited by theminer220 on May 31st, 2015, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 3:41 pm
nice start like the shape of the boat ;-)
Maybe the bridge is a bit to low, i would increase the high a bit

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
theminer220
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 3:43 pm
Thanks, and good idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 4:40 pm
Welcome :D

Nice small ship (maybe a tiny bit to small for 1950s warship ?) and if its not a warship then some colouring would be very nice (and make the deck/funnel stand out).

I agree with making bridge stand up a bit (and giving a flat rear deck for a MG later with a raised funnel)
As a CG ship I would fit 1 x 40mm (on bow move mast back to make it fit and 2 MGs on bridge side/rear deck)
Fit it with a small boat (maybe side ways on top of cargo deck ?)

Looking forward to more.

ADD
Just to add size wise,
- Flower-class corvette have a Length of 205 ft.
-1950s Ross Tiger, a traditional side-winder fishing trawler Length has a length of 127.6 ft.
- Isles-class trawlers 164 ft (50 m)

In WW1 There were two basic types of Admiralty-built drifters, wooden hulled and steel hulled.
-The wooden hull vessels displaced 175 tons, were 86 ft (26.2 m) long, with a beam of 19 ft (5.8 m). They had a speed of 9 knots and carried one 6pdr gun. 91 wooden hull vessels were launched 1918–20, and 100 similar Canadian-built craft were ordered in January 1917.[1]
-The steel hull vessels displaced 199 tons, were 86 ft (26.2 m) long, with a beam of 18 ft 6in (5.6 m). They also had a speed of 9 knots and carried one 6pdr gun. 123 steel-hulled vessels were launched 1917–1920, and 48 others were cancelled

So I think you are little small unless you have no choice and only want very short range.

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 5:06 pm
I think if he is going to use this Fishing boat as a kind of coast patrol vessel the colour is OK,
JSB is right, you should increase the lenght (30-40m?) for more space

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
theminer220
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 5:18 pm
Thanks, and good ideas. I'll try to add some of the suggestions in a couple of hours, but I cannot find any good MGs. By the way, here's an idea of a scenario for this ship:
•1930s or 1940s - Built as a pretty small fishing boat and used for a fishing company for a decade or so
•mid-1950s - Company on the verge of bankruptcy, some of the ships offered to the government for some reason, government buys them
•mid-1950s to 1970s - Never saw much action, mainly used to police some of the smaller ports
•1970s - Decommissioned, waiting to be scrapped or repaired for a couple of years
•early- or mid-1980s - Bought by some historical ship preservation society, repaired to its early coast guard paint job
•1980s to present day - Moored at some larger town, now part of a maritime museum

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 5:52 pm
Maybe look here, there are some nice MGs, they are modern ones but there isn't a real difference
pic

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 7:00 pm
theminer220 wrote:
Thanks, and good ideas. I'll try to add some of the suggestions in a couple of hours, but I cannot find any good MGs. By the way, here's an idea of a scenario for this ship:
•1930s or 1940s - Built as a pretty small fishing boat and used for a fishing company for a decade or so
•mid-1950s - Company on the verge of bankruptcy, some of the ships offered to the government for some reason, government buys them
•mid-1950s to 1970s - Never saw much action, mainly used to police some of the smaller ports
•1970s - Decommissioned, waiting to be scrapped or repaired for a couple of years
•early- or mid-1980s - Bought by some historical ship preservation society, repaired to its early coast guard paint job
•1980s to present day - Moored at some larger town, now part of a maritime museum
Is this a totally different world or OTL ? and for what sort of nation ?

A 1930s fishing boat will get used in WWII if its available and suitable and if not by mid 1950s the world is full of WWII stuff available for scrap prices from the USN/RN that are way better and already converted for you.

[Profile] [Quote]
theminer220
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 7:21 pm
JSB wrote:
theminer220 wrote:
Is this a totally different world or OTL ? and for what sort of nation ?

A 1930s fishing boat will get used in WWII if its available and suitable and if not by mid 1950s the world is full of WWII stuff available for scrap prices from the USN/RN that are way better and already converted for you.
It might be for the same world - it's for Nordholm (name will probably be changed later), a fictitious Nordic nation whose size is close to that of the Faroe Islands (pretty small) and that might be part of a new AU in the future.
I guess they might've used it as a small sort-of-reserve ship (alongside better, newer, faster ships) that would probably not be needed but still kept around in case of war.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Fishing boat for a possible AUPosted: May 31st, 2015, 7:46 pm
I would just have 2 sets of ships, the 20/30 ship (or even a WW1 ship converted to civilian use) that gets bought for navy use in WW2 and then a war built ship (maybe LL) that joins them for WW2 and then takes over till the 60s/70s ?

That would make 2 ships,
- 20/30s trawler
- replaced with Something Isles-class trawlers like (or anything free on LL or at end of the war).

50m ish length would be the minimum for work in far north with boats a 40mm cast off and 2 .5MGs

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: