Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: August 9th, 2015, 11:18 am
Hi Krases,

Looking good!

A suggestion, if I may ... I'd recommend lifting the barrels of the light guns, if they're supposed to be light AA that doesn't penetrate the deck ... the breech needs to have room to drop if they're going to elevate to 70+ degrees, plus either the loader needs to be able to reach the breech easily enough to maintain a high rate of fire or you need additional room for whatever autoloading mechanism you have.

Regards,
Adam

Regards,

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: August 12th, 2015, 3:48 am
Ok, I lifted the barrels of the light guns and even the 6" gun model I have. I also totally re-did the 18" guns I am working on to be better looking. I also worked on the whole parts sheets layout.

I should probably outline some further goals, but I think my next parts sheet is going to gets its own thread in the AU section if that is ok...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: August 25th, 2015, 4:37 am
I decided that I need to give a bit of depth to each weapon and explain some of the design decisions behind them. I went ahead and snagged some images from NavyWeps and Wikipedia to give examples of what I based these guns on.

15mm water cooled auto-cannon - Not yet pictured

Designed as a light AA gun of last resort, used for close in engagements and meant to have a rapid rate of fire. Nicknamed the 'Thousand' due to its 1000 RPM firing rate, the 15mm AA gun was typically mounted in pairs on a rapidly rotating, lightly armored platform. The 15mm saw widespread use in the Navy, though failed to catch on beyond naval use in the face of lower velocity, but harder hitting 20mm rounds. The 15mm auto cannon fired in rapid, long bursts meant to spray out as much mass as possible at an encroaching plane. Being such a specialized weapon, the 15mm AA gun had a short lifespan, as it did not meet army use, airforce use and was not used by the navy when anti-air guns lost prevalence.

Inspiration - Based off the MG 131, 151/15 and MG 42.

[ img ]
[ img ]

30mm auto-cannon - One of the most popular AA guns to see use in Vayiir, the 30mm gun combined a hard hitting shell with longer range than the 20mm guns of other navies, while still keeping a reasonable fire rate. Typically placed in a turret and often armored, the 30mm gun served as a medium ranged AA gun.

Inspiration - MK 103 German machine cannons. I imagine mine to fire a longer, higher velocity shell and do about 200-250 rounds per minute.

[ img ]

60mm AA gun - A reasonably long ranged AA gun with hard hitting characteristics. Typically laid out in a four gun armored turret and having the stopping power to hard-stop attacking aircraft. Each gun could manage roughly 80 rounds per minute and while this was noticeable lower than the 40mm guns of some other navies, the later ability to fit a proximity fuse made up for its lower fire rate.

Inspiration - An American 3" AA gun and a 40mm bofors had a baby with a lower mean fire rate, as it appears early-ish in my AU.

[ img ]
[ img ]

5" Dual Purpose gun - A heavy AA gun that was able to reload while keeping its barrel elevated, the 5" dual purpose gun often came mounted in a unique 'semi casement' turret, thus helping to move the weight of many ships lower to the water line.

Insperation
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: August 30th, 2015, 10:02 am
Hi Krases,

One point I would be careful about would be shell, or rather clip, weights, if you're intending your 60mm to be clip-fed. Bofors 40mm took four-round clips of 2.21 (Max) kg ammunition, whereas by the time you're looking at the Bofors 57mm the complete round weighs in at 6.1kg per round, substantially increasing the weight for any sort of reasonable clip of ammunition - this may make it difficult to maintain a high rate of fire.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: September 2nd, 2015, 5:31 am
Thanks for the input, here is the weapon and technical manual I base my 60mm gun off.

My weapon will likely use a 5 round strip with a bulkier feed mechanism that allows for smooth operation. It uses an electric power drive just like the quad bofors 40mm, but scaled up appropriately.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: November 7th, 2015, 10:23 pm
I decided to explore the concept even more with the seaplanes and make this little guy. Used as a trainer and as a scout/spotting plane. It is most at home in archipelagos, river areas and the backs of smaller warships. Made largely out of wood, early composite materials and even nylon in some cases. After the war in the AU I am slowly working on, it became a popular civilian craft.

The big attack craft is meant for scale. Typically it was unarmed, though some were able to carry small rockets for marking targets or harassing enemies.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: