Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
OnionSpider13
Post subject: Type XXI SSBPosted: July 17th, 2015, 3:51 am
Hey all! I've played around for a long time now with different Shipbucket designs, but this is the first one I'm actually posting up here. Alls I did was take a Type XXI, extend the hull and the sail, make the sail a bit taller, and added a "blister" on the bottom. The goal was to fit 3 V-2s inside, sort of in the same style as a Golf Class sub. It is still a bit rough and lacking some detail, but I thought I'd post it up here and see what everyone's opinion on it is. Did I totally screw it up?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Type XXI SSBPosted: July 18th, 2015, 3:20 pm
You might as well go for a completely redesigned hull, designed specifically to fit the V-2s. As it is now, structurally, that thing would likely fall apart.
I'm not entirely sure on the requirements for the V-2 but surely you could be able to launch them at an angle on a launch rail, and that would make it fit a little easier into the hull and sail.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dmitri97
Post subject: Re: Type XXI SSBPosted: July 18th, 2015, 4:05 pm
It might be a little bit more plausible to use a V-1 in this situation. Many of the other early submarine launched missiles had a similar airplane-ish style about them.

[Profile] [Quote]
OnionSpider13
Post subject: Re: Type XXI SSBPosted: July 25th, 2015, 5:16 pm
Fair enough! For my own edification though, can you explain why it would fall apart? Mechanics aren't my kind of engineering.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Type XXI SSBPosted: July 25th, 2015, 6:08 pm
OnionSpider13 wrote:
Fair enough! For my own edification though, can you explain why it would fall apart? Mechanics aren't my kind of engineering.
Russian did something similar, but they war more a test bed, and those submarine was build more stronger after more modern technology, than this old German submarines, for just by adding the launcher there, you are cutting trough the pressure hull, that also act as the hull of the submarine it self.

Look at it this way, take an egg and try to crush it, very difficult to do. But what if you make an hull right thru that egg, now you can crush that egg with two fingers. A submarine that dive, operate very deep, and the pressure that are pushed on the hull at those deep is similar to when you try to crush the egg in you'r hand, but only mush stronger... a submarine have to withstand several tons of pressure...

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Type XXI SSBPosted: August 9th, 2015, 2:07 pm
There was actually a plan to launch V2's from submarines! But, in true Harrington style, they were to be towed in a pod behind the submarine until they were within firing range of the eastern sea board.
Amusingly, it's already drawn:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Type XXI SSBPosted: August 26th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Hi,

I'm not sure as the Golf-esque concept would be terribly catastrophic for the structural design of a Type XXI derivative. There is already a flat bulkhead transition from the figure-8 section amidships to a single circular section pressure hull aft and the missile compartment could be stuffed in there. It wouldn't be structurally pretty, but as lot of second world war and later Soviet boats aren't, and the diving depth would be reduced I suspect, but it might be possible. I think a bigger problem is that the tubes would be so wide there wouldn't be any room for pressure hull around them...

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: