Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Western_1
Post subject: Vikar Islands Patrol ShipPosted: July 19th, 2015, 9:48 pm
The Vikar Islands consist of one roughly 20,000 square mile sized island and a handful of small, far northern islands that are largely inhabited only by seasonal research stations and Vayiiric early warning radar sites. With a population of 350,000 people, half of Vikars population resides in its quaint capitol city while the rest reside in various small coastal towns. Over the past century, Vikar has remained one of the last nominally independent nations in the western hemisphere, though in recent decades it has entered a fiscal and monetary union with the super power that is Vayiir.

Vikar has a fleet of five ships, including four patrol craft and one small hospital ship that is often on international aide missions. Vikar also uses six helicopters and one medium sized transport plane. Vikar has a single branch to its military, the Navy, with around 350 active duty personnel and 600 civilian employees.

The Vikar patrol craft is armed with one 20mm cannon, one .50cal and between two and four 5.56mm light machine guns along with the crews small arms. Some patrol craft are also armed with ATGM's as opposed to having as many light machine guns. A small patrol drone is also used.

While Vikar is technically independent, the small nation has a fiscal, monetary and military union with its super power neighbor. This however did not stop a series of engagements with a nation across the sea over fishing rights and ownership of some small islands. These engagements consisted of a number of small shootouts between Vikars Navy and the opposing nations far more powerful navies. These conflicts ended when Vayiir projected air power into the region and managed to plead Vikars case to international courts, awarding Vikar lucrative fishing rights and, indirectly, awarded Vayiir rights to a modest oil field.

Vikar's fleet is likely to be folded into the vastly more massive Vayiiric navy when the small island becomes a territory-protectorate of Vayiir in the near future.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Vikar Islands Patrol ShipPosted: July 25th, 2015, 6:52 pm
I have 191 views and no comments. I know at least 150 of those are mine but still, any comments? Suggestions? I like coming up with ideas for a really small, Iceland sized countries navy.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Vikar Islands Patrol ShipPosted: July 25th, 2015, 7:05 pm
Sorry but its just too sensible a first ship did you not read the joining instructions ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

My only comments would be to ditch the 5.56 guns for a total of 2x .5 MGs (less crew and recoil/weight is irrelevant on ship) and if you need more than 2 you should use the 20mm gun (I might go with a stabilized mount but yours is fine for a cheap option, maybe move it back to be less wet ?).

Maybe fit a funnel ? and a few more electronics aerials/backup radars (commercial cheap stuff)

Then just a few (or 1) ribs as boarding ships is an important part of the job in peace time.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Vikar Islands Patrol ShipPosted: July 25th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Summer holiday... some of the views are often google bots, and so on.

But I can give you a couple fast point, although the ship in it self are good.

1. railings. Shipbucket are using an standard railing, but since this is AU... it can pass.
2. stabilizer fin is to big, I would see them more often on a ship 2-3 times bigger, and it would be mounted far more forward. It isn't often you see a ship like this, with this type of hull have stabilizer fin. And I wonder if it could give you problem, when operating close to islands shore.
3. Superstructure windows could have a little work, now it looks like just some windows are just mounted in there and that's it.
4. The mast is a bit big for this ship, specially a patrol ship.
5. better to use an radar from one of the part-sheets in the forum. A patrol ship only need a surface radar to detect ships.
6. All those wire are not needed, if they are for VHF (WW2 called...:-P), today's VHF use only a antenna.
7. Satellite communication is a must for these type of ships.
8. to many weapons and different weapons. it's enough with a 20 mm and a 12.7 mm all other weapons are hand held.
9. RHIB
10. Crane
11. Anchor

some example of other Navys ships patrol ships and coast guard ships:

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Vikar Islands Patrol ShipPosted: July 26th, 2015, 5:26 am
The USCG sentinel was one I looked to for a lot of inspiration and to help me insure I was scaling things correctly with the windows. Thanks for all the input.

Just for fun, I felt like comparing sizes between two of the projects I have uploaded so far.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: