Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Jellicoe
Post subject: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 5:15 pm
Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I have arrived. I have been lurking on this site for two or three years now, having plundered the archives for drawings that are so well suited for naval wargaming and I think it is time that I put something back!

My signature dish is going to be RN cruisers of the Victorian era using Friedman as my reference source; perhaps not the best I can get (I live just 30 easy minutes from the National Maritime Museum) but they are all there in one handy volume with no need to shift my butt from the computer. Also, I just love these ships for their rakish good looks, lots of clutter that seems to get in the way of everything else and the coolest paint job ever applied to a warship!

Just a couple of basic questions: first, how to members' work lists operate? Does laying claim to a ship indicate a strict "hands off" for everybody else or is it purely advisory. If the former, I am nailing HMS Galatea (1891) to the notice board. Secondly, how do I get my artwork onto this site? Can I attach it to a post in some way or would I have to use an image-hosting site?

Here's looking forward to working with you all,

Jellicoe

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 5:32 pm
welcome Jellicoe

to answer your questions: worklists work on gentlemens agreement. it is not forbidden to draw a ship that is already drawn or on somebody's worklist, but avoiding drama we tend to keep to that. If you redraw a drawing already on our forums or main site, the best drawing gets placed on the main site, so both drawing quality and accuracy have to be good to do so ;)

for uploading on the forums, you best use an external image host. quite a few of us use the public folder of dropbox, but that is not an option open to new dropbox users so other hosting sites are common as well.
for uploading on the main site (the completed drawings), the instructions should be all here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5859

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 5:45 pm
Hi Ace,

Is that something that has changed recently, as in within the last 6 months or so, because I've not encountered any significant difficulty getting drop box's public folder to work.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 5:47 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Ace,

Is that something that has changed recently, as in within the last 6 months or so, because I've not encountered any significant difficulty getting drop box's public folder to work.

Regards,
Adam
I have no idea, since it always worked for me :P that was just what I was picking up on the forum back when photobucket changed to useless, so it might be outdated information from the past :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 6:52 pm
Welcome aboard, and hope to see some drawings soon, maybe the HMS Galatea of 1891
As mentioned above, the members work lists are advisory, but as a rule of thumb it is considered good manners to ask a member if a ship on his list is open to be drawn by others.
Also it is considered bad form to use a drawing for kitbashing without getting permission from the original artist.
As for Dropbox, there is a way to get the public folder working, even for new users. A Google search will probably get you there.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 7:10 pm
Welcome to the Shipbucket.
Generally Your questions have been already answered. Besides the matter of "good manners" of asking before doing something that is on someone's Worklist - which, for the practical purposes, may be sometimes problematic if said members is not recently active - basically the bottom line is that the new work ought to be of higher quality than the preceding one.
I'm sure that all members of the Shipbucket community will be looking forward to seeing Your announced drawings, as the 19th century fleets are relatively underrepresented group here.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Newbie saying helloPosted: August 24th, 2015, 7:32 am
Welcome aboard!
I look forward to seeing these cruisers in SB.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: