Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Hole in the ground
Post subject: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: September 28th, 2015, 8:27 pm
Greetings,

I am brand new to this and wanted to start relatively simply by modifying an LST into an FDT as used by the UK during OVERLORD. Below is a picture of FDT 217, the 3rd of 3 FDTs.

[ img ]

The ships were modified by the addition of 2 sets of Ground Control Intercept radars, sufficient radios and antenas and a slightly modified superstructure and AA armament.

So, noob question time, I've had a look through the forums for FAQs etc but just so I am perfectly clear.

I would basically like to whole sale use the LST already created, is that ok? Obviously I will credit the author (it'll still mainly be their effort after I've modded it).

Less noob question - the radar sets used are AMES 11 & 15. I have found very few pictures and no drawings/dimensions for these. So does anyone have any dimensions for these radar sets? I noticed that the parts list has several British RN radar sets but these ones are RAF.

Thanks for looking

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: September 28th, 2015, 9:43 pm
Welcome HITG, that is an interesting first subject to choose, good luck with how it comes out.

As long as you credit the original author, I do not think they will have any problems with you producing these FDT's from the base unit.

I will leave it to those who have the technical manuals to provide you with the radar answers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: September 28th, 2015, 10:32 pm
Welcome aboard HITG
The use of a previously drawn ship is allowed, provided that you put your nameafter the original artist's name. That means that the credit line should show two (at least) names with yours coming last.
As for technical data about RAF radars, it is going to be a bit difficult here, it being a ships drawing forum (more related to the Senior Service, as it were).
I think Hood may help, or maybe Graham (who is only occasionally logs in as of late).

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: September 29th, 2015, 7:36 am
I'll have a look at RAF radars, might have something in my files. The only question is whether the FDTs used standard antennas or if they were modified in any way for ship-board use.
We've certainly never drawn any ground-based radars of the AMES series in SB yet.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Hole in the ground
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: September 29th, 2015, 10:05 am
Thanks for the responses guys.

Hood - my understanding is that the type 11 & 15 were both mobile radar sets, normally mounted on trucks/trailers. I believe that the antenna assemblies were essentially just bolted onto the deck without modification.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hole in the ground
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: October 4th, 2015, 9:12 pm
Hello again guys. More questions and no eye candy as yet. I have been trying to work out what colour the hulls were. The picture above appears to show a 3 tone camouflage pattern applied. Can anyone tell me what 3 colours they were likely to be?

As a general question on methodology here, what is best practice for "re-colouring" a drawing? Obviously the original author would have a layered image to work from. I am planning on 'tracing' over the original drawing - to give myself a blank canvas - and then applying colouring, using the original drawings detail and shading/highlighting etc. Id be interested to know what the consensus is on this?

Thanks again.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: October 5th, 2015, 7:37 am
I've not unearthed anything in my files.
I had a look at my electronic copy of ONI-226, a handbook of all Allied Landing craft, the LSF is listed but no actual page seems to be included of them, which is a shame because its a goldmine of good photos etc. I want to refer to a book about British ground-based radar for more info on the antennas, might take me a while to locate it and read it (university library undergoing refurbishment).

My guess as to colours is that they would be standard blue/grey/dark grey camouflage as applied to British LCTs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Hole in the ground
Post subject: Re: Fighter Direction TendersPosted: October 5th, 2015, 8:13 am
Thanks for the help hood. I wasn't sure if it was a British scheme or am American one.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: