Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ] 
Vouchsafe
Post subject: USS Fargo modernizedPosted: September 30th, 2015, 3:35 am
Greetings, Shipbucket. I first discovered this place many years ago, and I thought I would finally try making a little something of my own.

[ img ]

The premise of my drawing is that the light cruiser USS Fargo (CL-106) was not mothballed and scrapped after her 1950 decommissioning, but instead sold to some small friendly nation, where she has served ever since. Some say the WNS Lykewake has been retained more for the national pride of having a "cruiser navy" than for any real military utility, but she has still been upgraded considerably from her WWII days. At the stern, two 6-in turrets and the seaplane crane have been replaced by a helicopter landing pad and hanger. The old 40mm AA guns have been replaced by four DARDO twin 40mm turrets and a RAM launcher atop the hanger.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: USS Fargo modernizedPosted: September 30th, 2015, 7:44 am
Welcome :D

As to the rebuild I would play with it a bit more, what about ?

- anything you add (DARDO etc) should be recoloured to match the ship.

- I would swap all the radars (on masts and directors) for newer (well cold war) kit as the WW2 stuff will not be supported and second hand WW2 kit will be much better. (you might just cut them off a cold war missile rebuild ?)

- Swap directors for newer systems ? old will be very expensive in men and repair time.

- I would lose more of the 5"/38s as they are really only capable of surface fire (and you have 6" for that) as air targets have been getting faster and harder to hit since WW2, so mounts will do and free up space for helicopter and more computers (options for 4 or 3 ? just keep side mounts or rear sides and front mount ? or less ?) (or go and swap them with 76mm singles when you buy the DARDOs from OTO ?)

- is RAM to expensive and new ? maybe just the DARADO will do if you are going for the cheap old stuff navy look ?

Anyway keep going and good luck 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: