Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMAS Platypus (Concept) (Ulstein X-Bow design)Posted: October 10th, 2015, 1:38 am
all Norwegian supply ship including Ulstein design is designed to carry there massive superstructure. the superstructure on these vessels are usually very light weight, even the helipad is designed to be as light as possible. adding the radar mast on top of the superstructure will add to mush weight up top, thus she will lose her stability (increased chance for capsizing).

If Ulstein was to design a vessel like this they would do this:

Red: lowering by one deck (deleting one deck)
Green: moved more aft.
Orange: on modern supply ship like the Ulstein designed supply ship, this hatch is where the RHIB and free falling life boats are stored. you don't need that since you have an large RHIB bay aft.
[ img ]

That is just one of the many things they will do to it. These ships type are designed on the limit for what they can handle, more than that, you have an submarine. if you add something more on top you need to remove something.

If you really want to save weight on the crane. Here are a new crane designed here in Norway, where all it's equipment are build inside the crane instead outside of it. It also use a new type of fiber rope then the old steal wire:

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: HMAS Platypus (Concept) (Ulstein X-Bow design)Posted: October 12th, 2015, 2:41 am
Very nice design and with a bit of refinement will be a good looking vessel.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: HMAS Platypus (Concept) (Ulstein X-Bow design)Posted: October 13th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Nice concept but don't forget to credit the original artist.

[Profile] [Quote]
Stumpy
Post subject: Re: HMAS Platypus (Concept) (Ulstein X-Bow design)Posted: October 23rd, 2015, 10:23 am
A bit more of an update :D
I'm using the light weight crane
lowering the work deck.
Lowering and moving the main ceafar mast
Smaller Bridge
I'm still bit unsure of the main weapon Typhoon/Goalkeeper/Millennium but I'm leaning toward the typhoon now
And still have to work out where to put the exhaust. :?: :?: :?: :?:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: HMAS Platypus (Concept) (Ulstein X-Bow design)Posted: October 23rd, 2015, 12:24 pm
I would argue that other than for picketing that CEAFAR and SPS-49 is superfluous without some sort of teeth to the design.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMAS Platypus (Concept) (Ulstein X-Bow design)Posted: October 23rd, 2015, 1:42 pm
Stumpy wrote:
And still have to work out where to put the exhaust. :?: :?: :?: :?:
[ img ]

since this ship isn't a supply ship or a pure warship, just a patrol ship. you can have the engine aft, thus get more weight aft, and you can have the funnel aft at the same time. but if you find a new location for the CIWS (something a patrol ship like this doesn't need (depending on operation area), enough with remote controlled 20 mm) you can have you'r funnel placed on the flanks in the CIWS place.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: